Monday, February 13, 2017

Soft Serve

Reading “Killing Reagan” by Bill O’Reilly. Lots of stuff I didn’t know, like about Reagan’s movie career. Tidbit #1: Before becoming Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Margaret Thatcher invented soft serve ice cream. I posted this on Facebook and caused such a stir you’d think I said I supported Trump.
 
When Ronald Reagan was first sworn in as governor of California, the ceremony took place at midnight because of the advice he received from his astrologers. Jupiter was in the sky and was a portent of great power. The astrologers predicted great things for Reagan, including becoming President of the US. Reagan took a pay cut to become governor and had to sell his ranch to 20th Century Fox. The ranch was where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was shot. Also MASH.
 
When Reagan was shot, the motorcade took four minutes to get to the hospital. At first Reagan thought he’d only broken a rib when the secret service agent had pushed him into the car. Amazingly, the wounded Reagan walked from the limo inside the hospital.

 
Tuesday dinner was beef tips and rice, and tossed salad. Ceil likes her steak. You can’t say we don’t eat well. Watched Wheel, Jeopardy, The Middle, and the show after that, but I was dozing off. Turned off the TV and worked on homework for tonight’s class. M had run out to visit friends. Later I packaged an eBay item. M and I went out to gas up our cars. I stopped by the post office on the way home. Didn’t get to bed until 11:45.
 
Thursday: C and I ate at Pappasitos. We split the chicken and steak fajitas, and she got soup. Had plenty of both to take home. The meat was great. Service ok. I just don’t like all the tables crammed so close together. Waiters and servers walking past all the time carrying food. Afterwards we drove around SunTrust Park, then home for Chicago Med.
 
Friday: Busy at work just because I’ve been explaining things all day. That means I’m not sitting at my desk doing all the work I need to get done. For lunch a vendor took Rodney, Brad, and I to Taco Mac. The three of us got chicken wraps. OK, but the tortilla was dry and there was too much lettuce and not quite enough chicken. After being out Wednesday and Thursday past nine, it was good to have an evening at home Friday night. Ceil cooked spaghetti and tossed a salad. Didn’t do much.
 
Saturday morning I cleaned upstairs for a long time. C met her friends for a class at the YMCA. When she got home she decided to go to SC. Her mom has bronchitis and isn’t eating. This week C’s art classes are on winter break, so she isn’t missing school. On the way C stopped by to visit W&MC. Young Okie wore out old Barney.
 
After packing C’s car and starting the laundry, in the afternoon I ran errands: got a much needed haircut, picked up a battery at Target, swung by the library, and mailed off two eBay packages. GT won a game they needed to win. It’s great to beat the big boys, but it’s all the other game that need to be won in order to make the tournament.

Went over to the Earhart’s for dinner with three couples. Lee grilled salmon, which I ate with minimal swelling in my throat. I sure can’t make a habit of eating fish. Got home at 10:30 and started watching “Crazy Stupid Love” while working on my laptop. I had stuff to do on my computer, including a little work stuff, so I watched the entire movie even though it didn’t get over until 1 am. Before going to bed I flipped over to see Andy Stanley on Channel 11. He comes on after Saturday Night Live.
 
I couldn’t run a needed work report from home, so at 7 am Sunday I drove over to work. Caught all the lights and made it in 26 minutes: a record. On the way I was trying to get help from coworkers. Several months ago I’d gone to work on a Sunday and set off the alarm. Since I didn’t have the alarm code I sat in the vestibule and logged on using the work Wi-Fi. Took me five minutes, and I was on my way. Stopped by the bank and Stinky Kroger on the way home.
 
Went to JFBC. Bryant mentioned to Super Bowl in passing, and reminded worshippers that the church offered counseling services. Plenty of food to eat while C is out of town. Trying to eat the leftovers oldest first. For lunch Saturday and Sunday I made quesadillas on the Panini press. Brought grilled chicken for lunch today. Still have the Pappasitos leftovers and enough spaghetti for three meals, plus more quesadilla ingredients. Then there’s three more meals in the freezer.

Watched some of the Pebble Beach golf. I like the Pro Ams. Peyton Manning won a trophy, but I didn’t see he or Aaron Rodgers play. Justin Timberlake did well, as did WR Larry Fitzgerald. Saw Belicheck and Larry the Cable Guy. When a lady yelled his name when he was about to tee off, Larry hollered back “I told you to wait in the truck!” Bill Murray’s overalls and flannel shirts were made from high performance dri-fit material.  
 
Also watched “Crazy Stupid Love” again. Great movie. My back hurt from being on my feet all day Saturday, so I took it easier Sunday afternoon. Took M out to Willys on his way to work. Service was terrible. The food from Willy’s was good. We had originally gone to Panda Express but the line was long and slow there as well. Chinese would’ve been good. M had to work from 7 pm to 1 am for physical inventory. I skipped the Grammys and watched “Autumn in New York” and “Forces of Nature.”      
 
The Braves keep bringing in old guys. Bartolo Colon. RA Dickey. Brandon Phillips. Billy Joel. Metallica.
 
Stephen King used to be in MYF in the 1950’s in Maine. Years later he still had the Bible he had used to memorize verses for MYF.
 
When Hurt went into the work uniform business he was working long hours trying to make a go of it, not long after he and Mary got married. They were living in their little house off Collier Road. At the time. Gee since then they moved to Sandy Springs, then Milton, and now Johns Creek. Their next move might be out of state, huh?
 
Saw the first Harpring bobble for sale on my group listing - $55.00, including shipping. Several scolded the guy for such a high price, but Tech bobbles are rare, and there were only a thousand of these. Two people have expressed interest, but it may still be available. Knowing my group, any posted at a reasonable price will be scooped up quickly.  
 
It’s wild how areas change. The Lenox area has changed several times over the years. I loved that old back way from Piedmont through the neighborhood to Lenox, past the house on the corner with several Chevelles. Downtown before Centennial Park. Lindbergh and Lenox.
 
This morning I sold a T-shirt on eBay for $35.00. to a guy in Macon. I looked up where he lived – a quarter mile from the house I grew up in. But I had no idea apartments had been built where before had just been woods. A new street had been built across from our old house, and my elementary school had been torn down and completely rebuilt.

No comments: