Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Labor Day Braves Jays


Weekend: didn’t watch as much football as I would’ve liked, but rarely do I watch much besides GT, UGA, and Clemson. Sometimes OK and AL but not much.
 
For lunch Friday everyone brought tailgate food. Hot dogs, chips, dips, fruit, taco fixings, donuts, etc. I had brought raw vegetables. Left work Friday at 4:45. Everyone cleared out early for the holiday. On the way home I bought a Falcons tie, to go with my Braves tie, Izzy tie, and two Hawks ties. Now I need Tech, UGA, and the Masters.
 
Anna had gone to Athens so C and I went to Moxie Burger. Hadn’t been there in a coons age. Chicken sandwich and fries. Saw the USF/Wisconsin games was delayed. Would’ve been good to watch since USF plays GT this week. Then to Trader Joes.
Saturday morning we drove down to help W&MC. Time to wash down the walls and doors and other surfaces to get rid of all the dust from sanding and refinishing the floors. I used the shop vac. Will had trimmed most of the overgrown hedges (above = before, below = after). The garbagemen had hauled away the piles of debris in from of the house, so we hauled more branches and debris to the street. A good workout.
Didn’t get home until almost five. Watched the end of Georgia State/Tennessee and NC/SC.
Went over to Reid and Noelle’s to watch the UGA game. They’d redone their driveway and backyard so we watched and ate outside around the unlit firepit.
Flat steak, salad, fruit, rice, cookies, and brownies. After sunset a baby deer crept out of the woods and stared at us for a little while. Didn’t get home until late.
Sunday School and worship. Sat near David Lewis and Sherri Hall Lewis. Chicken for lunch. Did laundry, the dishes, and cut the grass and blew the driveway. Then watched the Braves. Still trying to figure out our new TV setup. At seven we went over to the Chiles to play games. A fun evening. Got home late again.
 
Monday morning C went to the YMCA. W&MC came over and loaded their SUV with their table & chairs and lawnmower. Then we went over to MC’s grandmother’s house to meet MC’s parents, and loaded a U-Haul trailer with more of W&MC’s stuff. Worked up a good sweat.

By then it was 11:30. Had arranged to meet up and sell two bobbles to a guy. He said he was running late. So I parked and walked to the stadium. Kept waiting to hear. I hadn’t planned on going to the Braves game, but found a cheap ticket and went inside. Visited with Miss Marion, got my Coke, walked around, and sat in the shade in centerfield. Soon I was surrounded by white caps, as it was where all the UGA fans were sitting. Videoed Donaldson’s home run trot, and umbrella celebration.
Later I walked around back in the shade. Saw Bobby Cox in a luxury box. Cox was attending his first game since his stroke (above left, with John Schuerholz (back to camera) and Joe Simpson (right)). During the game they announced his appearance. The crowd game him a standing ovation, and the Braves on the field stopped and applauded as well. Visited more with Miss Marion. Big crowd in the Team Store so I never went in. Never heard from the guy who was going to buy my bobbles. Made four stops on the way home. 

I was bushed after the day in the sun. Worked on emails. C cooked leftover chicken for tacos with rice, salsa, cheese, and guacamole. M went to a concert. We watched Notre Dame / Louisville. 
 
If it’s not one thing, its ten others. I’ve got my emails down under ten and several other projects complete for the time being, but have a few big projects I need to knock out. Tuesday I left work at 5:30. Ceil was at her women’s ministry so Anna and I ate at Moes. Came home and watched the Braves, then bed.
 
Joel Norman has been going to lots of Braves games, but right now he’s on a trip out west. Wayne and Becky Smith were at the Monday Braves game, but I didn’t see them. Will is going to the game on Thursday.
 
This coming Sunday new JFBC pastor Clay Smith starts a three week sermon series. I’ll try to take notes.
 
Did you see the video of 37 year old women’s soccer player Carli Lloyd kicking a 55 yard field goal at the Eagles practice. She says she’s serious about football. But did you see the video? Snapper snaps the ball. Holder catches ball and places it on the ground. Only THEN does Lloyd begin her approach toward the ball. And she takes THREE steps. Two fatal mistakes. She’s taking way too long. Kicks will be blocked.  Watch a kicker kick a field goal. Especially a key field goal. The kicker starts his approach after the snap, before the holder has placed the ball on the ground. Teams work to get off kicks in less than 1.5 seconds. Sure, it was her first time. Sure, she’d have time to get better. I wish her well.

No comments: