Tuesday, September 24, 2019

UGA / Notre Dame Notes

Rodrigo Blankenship was named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week. Not the first time this year. He's still perfect for the year on both field goals and extra points. A shoo-in for the Lou Groza Award? We shall see.
 
Was Notre Dame faking injuries to slow UGA down? I didn’t see any ND defenders flopping when UGA wasn’t running the hurry up offense. Yes the UGA play calling could’ve been better. UGA offensive coordinator is in his first year of calling plays. Fromm was excellent, completing 20 of 26 with at least two throwaways.
 
Amazing stat: Notre Dame ran 34 more plays than UGA, and UGA still outgained ND. This shows how much better UGA performed than the Irish.
 
5.8 yards per play UGA
3.4 yards per play ND
 
93 total plays ND
59 total plays UGA
34 more plays ND had than GA
 
4.6 avg yards per rush UGA
3.3 avg yards per rush ND
 
9.5 avg yards per pass completion both teams
 
046 yards rushing ND 14 attempts
152 yards rushing GA 33 attempts
 
61% Ian Book completion %
77% Jake Fromm completion %
 
ND one run for every 3 passes 14/47 = 1/3 = .298
GA four runs for every 3 passes 33/26 = 4/3 = 1.27
 
Clemson plays nobodies all year long. Not their fault, that’s just how the ACC is. They’re playing two SEC teams. GT lost to The Citadel. Texas A&M is overrated. Syracuse lost to Maryland. UNC Charlotte scored 40 points in each of their first three games but was still a patsy. UNC lost to App State. FSU is 1-3. Louisville has a QB that can’t pass. Boston College is a home game for Clemson. NC State will be the toughest test the rest of the way. South Carolina lost to NC and Mizzou. Miami isn’t too good either.
 
Bama has to play LSU and Auburn. Not sure Auburn as is good as everyone thinks but LSU sure is. I just don’t like how the media glorifies all these QBs for throwing for all these TD’s against such lowly competition. Ohio State has an easy schedule as well, with Michigan being so bad. Do they play Wisconsin?
 
When someone asks me a question I try to never answer “it’s easy.” It may be easy to the person who was asked, who has the knowledge. If it were so easy the person asking the question would’ve figured it out for themselves, and wouldn’t have to ask. Not everyone has the same gifts. Answering “It’s easy!” is like telling the person “You’re stupid if you don’t pick this up immediately.”
 
Friday I was asked to help on something outside my jurisdiction. I was already covered up with my own work, and three of six team members were out. But I tried to help as best I could. Tried to teach to fish instead of feeding a fish. Instead I got this replay: “Can you offer any “helpful” advise?”
 
Last Tuesday I went to the Braves game. Walked my usual 1.5 miles uphill from my parking space. Was wearing my black leather Jack Purcell Converse All-Stars – not the best walking shoes. Standing in line for 2 hours before the game, I realized I had a blister on my left foot. Did more walking than usual before and during the game, then had to walk the 1.5 miles back to my car. 
 
The next day I went to the game again. Same long walks. Walking to and from Wednesday’s Braves games only made my foot blister worse. Didn’t know it until halfway through the game, but Will was there with Joel, Charles, and David Norman. Also former basketball teammates DJ and Josiah. I sat with them the second half of the game. In the same section was former Braves Mark Wohlers and Gerald Perry and Perry’s son – who’d played basketball with Will and his five friends.
 
By the time I’d gotten home the blister had burst. My foot was beginning to swell. Wore Crocs to work Thursday and Friday. The swelling would go down when I slept. Friday night the swelling was bad. Called Will. Saturday and Sunday I stayed off my feet, kept my foot elevated, and wore compression socks. Not as mush swelling.
 
Monday: wore sneakers and not limping as bad. Foot did better. No swelling or bleeding. Wore two pair of knee high compression socks. Pretty much walked normally. Same setup Tuesday.  
 
Worked like a dog. Been trying to not work overtime but I’m behind on my work. One coworker has been out of the office several days so I get hit with all the questions from people. Got one project from my boss and another from the GM. Another coworker usually helps but she’s got a mountain of work catching up on a new system the customer installed. Lunch meetings coming up on Thursday and Friday which takes away from normal work, then month end next Monday.
Worked until 6:45. Ceil fixed black beans and rice. Matthew made tacos and ate with us. Cleaned up the kitchen. Watched The Neighborhood then Ceil put on The Voice. I was playing on my laptop. Anna was still in Athens. Last week she and Christian took a day trip to Savannah.
 
Went to King+Duke for our anniversary, then the next night ate hot dogs at Costco. Ceil got a Mtn Dew. Ate at Cheeseburger Bobby’s last Wednesday for national cheeseburger day.
 
After work Thursday I drove to downtown Woodstock. Sold some bobbleheads to a guy: young Tommy Lasorda, Sandy Koufax, Don Sutton, Babe Ruth, Blooper, Rick Monday, Eddie Mathews, Orel Hershieser, Walter Banks. Ceil had been helping with W&MC’s move, so I stopped by Taco Bell. C made it home before me. Was glad to get off my sore foot, which was swollen. Packaged a Hank Aaron bobble. Sold a third pair of shoes.
 
Wrote a retirement speech. Delivered it on Friday. Small group at five on Friday. Took it easy this weekend.

W&MC have moved most of his stuff into their house. Above: view from the back door past fridge & range on left to the barn door hiding the laundry room. Their last night in the apartment was Monday. I told Will about my nice new mower.
 
Did you see Dennison’s post about the UVA basketball coach, a Christian, turning down a raise to fund needed programs? Wonder what the Freedom From Religion Foundation thinks about that?
 
Speaking of ships, did you hear about the huge container ship that rolled over in the port of St. Simons GA, blocking the port? I think the ship was carrying a load of cars, which I suppose were lost. 400 cars or 4000, not sure. They had to rescue crew members. Saw a photo from this weekend so I suppose the ship is still sitting there. They may be dismantling it.
 
I recently read another story of a “ghost ship” that was discovered floating empty off the coast in the South China Sea, a huge super container ship. Last anyone had records of the ship was over 9 years ago. A tug boat tried to tow the ship to a dismantling facility but may have lost the connection in rough seas. Lucky no one ran into the ship at night, but I suppose other ships have radar and stuff.  
 
By position, the oldest players to hit 3 home runs in a game.  
 
Pos      Player, TEAM  Age (yrs.days)       
P...Tobin, BSN.....29.137.13-May-1942
C...Whitt, TOR.....35.093..14-Sept-1987
1B.Giambi, COL..40.131..19-May-2011
2B.Cano, NYM....36.274..23-July-2019
3B.Schmidt, PHI..37.260..14-June-1987
SS.Ripken, BAL...35.278..28-May-1996
LF..Musial, STL....41.229..08-July-1962
CF.Finley, ARI......39.047..28-Apr-2004
RF. Ruth, BSN......40.108..25-May-1935
DH.Jackson, CAL.40.123..18-Sept-1986
 
Interesting article below on how Tim Tebow was a much better and stronger and more efficient running QB than Cam Newton, who used to play for the Panthers. 
 

No comments: