Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Rampage



Last night I stumbled across the 2018 Dwayne The Rock Johnson monster movie Rampage, where a pathogen causes a gorilla, wolf, and crocodile to grow really big. Then they converge on Chicago and take down the Sears Tower. Not really my genre but I could watch anything with the Rock in it. Based on a video game, I’m told. In the movie Johnson drove a really cool 2004 Ford Bronco concept car, quite similar to the new Bronco that’s just come out.

Yesterday Augusta National chairman Fred Ridley honored Lee Elder, the first black Masters participant. When Will worked at the Masters he had the honor of driving Elder around the course.

Had a dream last night that I was going to get my picture taken with Deion Sanders, but my phone wasn’t working. Or I was too nervous to operate it properly. He was in his red Falcons jersey and shoulder pads, it I was taking so long he changed into his white Falcons jersey and later his Cowboys jersey. I asked Deion if he knew Lang, but he said no. Later I had another dream about a school or something. Was going on a trip and Will was going to follow me.

QB Jamie Newman graduated from Wake Forest and transferred to UGA, then opted out of the season. Now he’s headed to the Senior Bowl to show off his talents for NFL scouts. If I was a NFL team I’m not sure I’d want a player who didn’t eat, sleep, and live football. Sure there are always personal issues, but I want people who want people who would die if they couldn’t play football. The Falcons have had two recent number one draft picks not work out, simply because the two defensive linemen just didn’t want to play football. Got paid millions, but weren’t motivated to play. Just one more reason pro football keeps getting less interesting to watch.  

RICKEY HENDERSON  [SABR Bio] once framed a $1,000,000 check he got from his team before cashing it. After the 1990 season, the A’s finance department tried to balance the books, only to find a $1 million overage—they had too much money in the bank, given what they thought they had paid out.  An inquest showed the likely culprit:  for some reason, the million-dollar check made out to Henderson had never cleared.  The A’s called up Rickey and asked if he knew what had happened, and luckily for the finance people, he did. Henderson passed Tris Speaker and Pete Rose in number of career runs scored. He also passed EVERYBODY. He is the undisputed all-time career leader in runs scored with 2,295, 50 more than 2nd-place Ty Cobb. Among players with 3,000 career hits, only Cap Anson, Eddie Collins and he played at least twenty-five years in the majors. Anson played for 27 years.  Eddie Collins and Henderson played 25 years.

Monday: Ceil fixed chicken stir fry and broccoli. I worked until six, entering orders. Had went for a run at lunchtime. Ceil went to bed at nine. 

Since it’s going to rain, I quickly raked the driveway and front yard. Later I finally cleared off the back deck. Went for a run.

Pet peeve: when people type “everyday” when they really mean “every day”. Like “I eat breakfast every day” – not “I eat breakfast everyday”. Of course several times a week I will reread something I type or post and find where I had misspelled a word, or just plain typed the wrong word. I think I am getting worse. In that last sentence I typed the word “reread” wrong, and had to go back and correct it. Also typed “work” instead of “word”.

 

No comments: