Thursday, November 12, 2020

Tall Tales


A few old old stories I happened to write up, from 40 years ago.

Back before cell phones, communication was much harder. When I was in college I had talked to this girl about going out on Saturday but nothing was set. Then a thunderstorm knocked the phones out. I took a chance and drove over to her house. Her family went to our church, and I knew the whole family. Took her a few minutes to get ready, then we drove across town toward the movies. I needed car so I exited the interstate an exit early. Going up the hill to the station my car ran out of gas, about 50 yards from the station. Lots went wrong that day but she appreciated the effort. 

Once after college a Friday night Tech basketball game wasn’t being shown on TV in Atlanta. A girl agreed to ride with me to Macon to watch it and spend the night, then drive back to Atlanta the next day. I recently discovered I had taken her to a Tech basketball game earlier that winter. She had also gone with me and Hurt to a comedy club. I had forgotten about that as well. Guess I should’ve asked her on more dates.

At Tech somehow it was arranged for me and two friends to take out three Agnes Scott girls, I think to a dance. Later we ate at the International House of Pancakes of North Avenue and Juniper. I think the girl that was supposed to be my date was also named Murphy, with dark hair. But I liked another one of the girls, with brown hair. A few years later I was able to take the brown-haired girl out on a couple of dates. 

Back when I was in Chapel Choir, Cathy Stephens asked me to take her to the Walton prom. Cindy was her sister, and her parents may have been in the adult choir. I borrowed a tux from Steve Suggs. Drove from Tech up across the river to East Cobb, then back to the World Congress Center for the prom. Then back to East Cobb to take her home, and home to Tech.  Can’t remember if we ate anywhere. Around 1980.

Not a date but around that same time I took Cindy Stephens and Hope Mullen to see the movie Annie at the movie theater in East Cobb, at the corner of Lower Roswell and Johnson Ferry. That movie theater has been gone for years now. After the movie I needed gas, so we headed north on Johnson Ferry. The areas was pretty much all wooded. Right where Johnson Ferry Baptist Church is now, that’s where I ran out of gas. I think. Can’t remember what we did, if Larry Stephens had to come help or what. The BP station was a mile or two up the roads, through the woods at the corner of Upper Roswell Road. The same station I got gas at last night. Across from the Trader Joes at what is now called Pine Straw Plaza. 

After the Adair’s had moved back to Texas, Julie was staying at the Crumpler’s house in Tucker. I was driving home on 85 south real late one night, and ran out of gas between Chamblee Tucker Road and Shallowford Road. I started walking toward the Head’s house. Found someone awake and used their phone to call Don. Woke him up. Don wasn’t very happy, but got out of bed and came to rescue me. Hopefully Don has long forgotten about this!

I am probably an idiot for recording this. You’ll be happy to know I haven’t ran out of gas in 35 years, but ten bucks says my dad will still pester me about it. My sister will think it’s her duty to bring up some of the other stories. 

1 comment:

DonH said...

Ha! I had forgotten all about that! You keep a great record of history. Waiting for your memoirs to be published!