Saturday, January 20, 2024

Church Chat

I started out as a Presbyterian. Was christened at Tatnall Square Pres. Then Forest Hills Methodist. Next Northminster Pres for most of grade school, until 8th grade. Was in children’s choirs, etc. I was starting in the youth group, though my parents weren’t as active by then.

I liked a girl who went to Northside Christian Church, so I went there in high school. The rest of my family started going there, and we were all baptized there on Easter Sunday 1975.

At Tech I say I fell in with a bunch of Baptists. My buddy Don from high school got me going to the GT BSU and Weiuca Road BC. At GT I met Steve Norman and Fred O – other GT BSUers / Revelation members like Yearwood, Don Sells, Wayne Smith, and Charles Vaughn. Started at SPdL in May 1978 and stayed through Dec 1999. Went on Sun mornings and evenings and Wednesday nights. This wonderful family with two kids adopted me. Singles met on Monday night.

Since we had moved out to the burbs and had the 3 young kids, it was tough to be active at SPdL. Few of the young adults in Sun School were as active as we had been. Wasn’t the same as when I worked in youth and sang in choir. We looked at several churches, and attended North Point the next ten+ years. Then Passion City Church for a few years.

Now Johnson Ferry. Twenty years ago we had visited Johnson Ferry but just couldn’t connect. It wasn’t Bryant Wright, but couldn’t find a Sunday School. When we went back we found a good big class for parents of teenagers. Scott and Robin Condra were in the class as well. Later we moved to our current class, that makes it easy to get to know people and get involved. We’ve known three East Cobb couples for over 30 years, and have added a few more to our circle since then.

It wasn’t until I got to Atlanta that I started taking sermon notes. Bill Self was a good preacher but Marsh even better. Andy Stanley even better. Louie Giglio is enthusiastic but doesn’t preach detailed sermons good for taking notes. Bryant stuck to the Bible, but currently Clay Smith may be a better preacher than all the others. The sermon is usually my favorite part of a worship service.

Article: Travis Kelce ‘planning to use diamonds from Super Bowl rings to craft engagement band for Taylor Swift.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.celebretainment.com/celebrities/travis-kelce-planning-to-use-diamonds-from-super-bowl-rings-to-craft-engagement-band-for/article_e8cdeb78-3403-55f5-9c53-0a25c0c68aa7.html__;!!AE29DT8V!RjwV4dQphYrqI5TvxX0PWZKnCIspSyqQPMNOENZDx9Vq8QAOVMplSpBGJKsLPggBhOmUcwux1MpMLlSzkYg$

Last night C cooked a good grilled chicken and bowtie pasta dish. She’s been grilling broccoli instead of cooking in water, and it's much tastier.

No comments: