Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thrashers game

Matthew went with me to the Thrashers game last night…his first hockey game. As much as he likes going to Braves games, he didn't like hockey. We got the tickets through a summer reading program, so I was expecting nosebleed seats. We arrived semi-early, around 6:15, but at the ticket booth I could tell we weren't the first to redeem the voucher. I wasn't that familiar with the Phillips Arena seating sections, but we were given terrific seats…section 109 row 11…right behind the goal.

Being so close made it cold (to Matthew…strike one). The Thrashers scored less than a minute into the game, and a big foghorn went off for the longest time…strike two. Two minutes later they scored again, and again the foghorn.

A Carolina player called for a penalty, and the scoreboard showed video of the player stepping into the penalty box, sitting down next to a guy in a tie, talking off his gloves, and reaching for a water bottle. Later another Carolina player was sent to the penalty box, and again the video screen showed him entering the box. But this time when the player reached for water, the guy in the tie got out two cowboy hats and ukuleles, and they proceeded to play dueling banjos, the theme from Deliverance. Matthew said it was his favorite part of the game.

He also liked shooting the pucks at the video goaltender, and prized the puck he got almost as much as the Happy Meal toy he got on the way to the game (he was trying to shoot the puck with his hockey-stick shaped thunderstick, with little success). We left after the second period, though he was ready to go after the first. Perhaps he'll change his mind about going back. When I told him we may return on December 9th, he said, "That's when Narnia opens!"

Speaking of misspelling words, I've been noticing that I've been doing lots of that myself. Three excuses…getting old, all that diet coke I've been drinking, and my public school/Georgia Tech education (and I went to Dekalb CC for two quarters as well, when I flunked out of Tech).

Doesn't seem huge that Farnsworth is signing with the Yankees…considering his inconsistency and what the Braves have in Boyer/McBride/etc. The only relievers you'd want to pay for would be a young, lights-out, battle tested closer, but there aren't many of those around. I should reach that halfway cup point today. I don't think I could manage a sixth flight by year end, but the thought had crossed my mind.

Lang had a nice article about Saturday night's game:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/lang_whitaker/11/28/the.links/index.html

Did see one red Atlanta Flames sweater…probably a newer throwback. I was going to comment that more than the big three sports, you see so many fans wearing hockey jerseys to games. Last night was my second Thrashers game, and the number of jerseys being worn was amazing.

Matthew probably had a hard time following the puck. The dad and daughter next to me seemed to be having a good time, but they left after the first period. I enjoy going for several reasons, including stuff other than the game, like people-watching, the ‘event’, letting the kids experience it, etc…but I think one hockey game every few years will be plenty. There a few players I know other than the Atlanta standouts, unlike basketball, where you’re familiar with most of the NBA players.

There are two more reading program voucher games…Will and Anna want to go. It may give Ceil a chance to get away and go Christmas shopping, though she might like to go if the tickets are good.

Have I missed an analysis of face masks? Like the Browns, gray is the color of choice. Is it because that was the only option when we came of age? USC wised up and went back gray a few years ago, to match Notre Dame. But why does no one make a big deal about Penn State? People call their unis bland (I call them traditional), but no one makes a big deal about their navy masks...as up-to-date as Oregon (and ugly and mismatched). Penn State's masks should be gray!

As good as the Cowboys, Raiders, Giants, Colts, and Cardinals look, several teams can improve immediately...the Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Lions, Bears, Vikings, and Packers to start. White helmets look fine with white masks (Miami and Texas, for starters), but horrible with dark ones (Penn State, Nebraska). White masks look OK on some helmets (Chiefs, UGA, UNC, Clemson), but gray would be nicer. Am I repeating myself?

No comments: