Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Missing the Final Four

Last week after Kobe went for 81, the story came out about the guy who gave away tickets to both the 100 point Chamberlain game AND Kobe's 81 point night. In 2004 I missed out on two big sporting events in a little over a month. Just as incredible? You make the call. Missing out on attending the perfect game, the next day I commiserated by writing that recap for my friends…I’m sure they were spellbound. The last sentence referred to missing my alma mater play in the Final Four just a month earlier. Here’s that story… As a sports fan in Georgia, the Masters holds a lofty spot in the universe. Since I’m not among the privileged, a corporate insider, or in the press, Masters Badges scarce. So as a sports fan in Georgia, I dutifully enter the lottery for practice round tickets every year. In 2003 I hit the jackpot, and eagerly drove over to Augusta for the Monday practice round. On the way disaster struck, in the form a thunderstorm. Practice was delayed, and then cancelled, for the first time in history. The only consolation was the guarantee of practice round tickets for the next year. In November 2003 lightning struck again. I won a sweepstakes for a trip to the 2004 Final Four in San Antonio. Checking the calendar, I knew I had a decision to make. The 2004 NCAA Championship game would be played on the same day I had Masters practice round tickets. I enjoy college basketball and am quite aware what a big deal the Final Four is. I was also quite aware of the taxes I would have to pay should I accept the trip. Struggling to make ends meet on the home front, I opted for the less expensive option…entry to the hollowed grounds of Augusta National. Besides, my alma mater Georgia Tech was a long shot to advance deep into the tourney that year. Four months later Tech made their improbable run not only to the Final Four, but also advanced to the Monday championship game with a win on Saturday . And I could’ve been there. Luckily it was a glorious day at Augusta National…not a cloud in the sky. We walked the grounds, saw all the players we wanted, ate egg salad sandwiches. My son got Jose Maria Olazabal’s autograph. We arrived home tired, but it was a good kind of tired. Got home just as a basketball game tipped off.

No comments: