Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Spring Training

I am the classic carrot and stick guy…I hate it when work piles up, like the situation I’ve been in since I was sick/in my boss’s office for hours/out of town. I’m not good at doing what’s most important, as opposed to the easy, fun, or urgent. I need to plan better. Today I’m spending most of the day straightening out other people’s messes.

This afternoon I’ve got a doctor’s appointment, Will has practice, and Anna's ballet. Tempted to work through lunch, but I vowed to go order my new glasses today.

We’ve said it before…everyone keeps talking about all the division titles and how that isn’t good enough, as opposed to how the 2006 team is built, compared to other 2006 teams. Many teams sign the big money free agents who are on the downhill side of their careers…Mets, Baltimore, Dodgers, Boston. The Cards, Angels, and Yankees seem to build with players in the prime of their careers, but the Yanks were like several teams to throw big money at pitchers that haven’t panned out, like Jaret Wright. Atlanta (JS) is different, though the bullpen is so different than other parts of the team. Apart from a closer, only the Yankees will pay big time for relievers. Can’t blame JS for going with quantity in the bullpen…you’re right, hopefully several would separate themselves from the crowd.

That guy with the French name that came over in the D’Backs Estrada trade seemed to be a workhorse, doing well against the Braves (in my memory). Will it be an issue that Francoeur won’t get as much work this spring playing for USA than he would in camp?

Frucal’s stolen base numbers had declined since his rookie year, until he rebounded in his walk year…right? So it would be no surprise if his numbers declined this year. I suppose LA could give him the steal sign more…he probably won’t run on his own as much, though health will certainly be a determining factor…he’ll slow up if he’s banged up.

CPA had a nice blog recap on the Wendy’s cups. That ‘profile view’ thing on the blog works weirdly. Mine said 8 for the longest time, then it said 16 for a long time…now it says 32, probably thanks to your mention. I’m impressed with the counter...I’d be scared to see my small number.

No comments: