Thursday, July 20, 2006

Braves Make a Move

John Schuerholz pulls another rabbit out of the hat...getting a veteran for basically nothing in return. Even if Wickman flops in the NL, the Braves are loaded at catcher: McCann is a young all-star, Brayan Pena is hitting over .300 at AAA (as he did during his cup of coffee this year in the ATL), Salty just hit another HR in AA (his 26th?!), and the Georgia kid playing at Mrytle Beach is highly touted as well. Young Ramerez was a Sally League all-star hitting .285, but it's no loss...he was the 20th ranked Braves minor leaguer.

So many guys who call in to sports talk radio discuss trades with no concept of the financial aspect in mind…or what other teams would want. One guy yesterday went through who could be traded from all the starters, and settled on Renteria as the most tradable. Everyone would much rather have the lower salaried Betemit or some of the prospects.

Hadn’t been sleeping good coming out of the vacation, so I fell asleep on the couch watching the game, shortly after Cox took out Barry. I thought that starter pitched well, too.

I’d just read the Hanks story myself. What I figured was they were going to all the “new” parks…Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincy. When Hanks was on Letterman plugging the Code, he talked about camping with a bunch of guys, how they all had these individual brightly colored tents. I know Miller plays golf, but he’s more into football and baseball than some older celebs who golf, party, or travel overseas. I’ve read how Bill O’Reilley (who I don’t watch) still goes on annual camping-type trips with his old high school/college crowd, but you’re right, you don’t hear too much of that. Letterman jokes about doing stuff like that (or just eating dinner) with Regis and Steve Martin, but I doubt much actually takes place.

I always thought it would be fun, if I was in that position, to take 18-20 friends and fill out a baseball camp.

Missed Webber, as well as the promo on the Friday show about the greatest plays in history, which I’d be a sucker to watch. Peyton enjoyed college, as did Pollack and Greene. Most ballers are looking to jump to the NBA. Heard some recent Mike Vick comments, how in high school he was thinking NFL, not about the college experience.

No comments: