Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Medium Grade Gas for $1.909/gallon!

Driving back from Orlando last Friday, I wanted to get back into Georgia before getting gas, to get it cheaper. I was cruising along and noticed the gas gauge had dropped to empty. Usually that means I still have a gallon or two, but I wanted to be more careful on the highway. I spied a billboard touting gas for $2.139 sixteen miles ahead at the Adel exit, so I made that my goal. Making it to the exit, I noticed two stations had regular for $2.099…even better. I picked the BP station, as it looked cleaner and more modern.

The BP had twelve hoses, but there was only a lone pickup truck filling up in the middle. I pulled up on the outside, and noticed that while regular 87 octane was indeed $2.099 and hi-test also at the advertised $2.299, the mid-grade 89 octane registered on the pump at a price of $1.909 per gallon. The sign said it should be $2.199. I checked another pump…it too read $1.909. Being a good citizen (ok, I didn’t want to pay $2.199), I went inside and asked the clerk. He said it should be $2.199, and went outside and discovered the error. We checked the middle pump, and I noticed the pickup was filling up with the more expensive lower grade 87 regular grade.

Meanwhile, I was able to fill up with the mid-grade 89 octane for only $1.909 a gallon, a savings of 29 cents a gallon!

No comments: