Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Coaching Move

I’ll pat myself on the back for a string I pulled that helped spark our late rally. We came in to bat in the top of the 6th down 6 – 1, and I began posting the fielding positions for the bottom of the inning. I had accidentally left one of our better fielders on the bench two straight innings…I try not to do that to anyone. Though I had seven innings of defense already plotted, I had strayed from my plan due to pitching changes. I put Corey down to catch and the not-so-speedy Andrew playing corner infield.

Just then Andrew singled to start the inning. I quickly noted that the “last batted out” was one of our better baserunners, David Bartlett (younger brother of the great Willie Bartlett, now playing JV ball at Campbell). For the first time all year I pinch ran for the catcher…something I had forgotten about up to that point.

Later another slow runner singled to clear the bases, he represented the tying run. I considered pinch-running for him, which technically I could’ve done were he the pitcher in the bottom of the inning. I didn’t, as he hadn’t even practiced pitching much, though he’ll at least pitch in practice games. The last batted out was only marginally better, so I didn’t make the move.

Will threw 59 pitches under tough conditions. It’s no myth that you can hit a baseball farther with a metal bat, right? If you were 13 and had a chance to hit the ball over the fence, wouldn’t you use a wood bat? Guess it’s like that video they run before the NP service, for www.thinklikeamiddleschooler.org

Good O’Brien blog on why Kelly Johnson is the frontrunner to win the second-base job.

No comments: