Sunday, March 18, 2007

Weekend On The Go

I took off work Friday, and spent the entire day organizing and cleaning house. Matthew’s practice was cancelled, then he and I went to small group. Will left on his youth retreat to Chattanooga, and Ceil went to pick up her former roommate Dawn, who flew in for the weekend with her daughter Rachel.

Sunday wasn’t much more relaxing. After the 9 am North Point service I drove over to my office to get Will’s ID for the race application. I gassed up the van and investigated the noise the back tire was making…it was about to tear apart. After picking up the gang after KidStuf I dropped them back home, then Matthew drove over to WellStar, but Tire Deals was closed. The Firestone across from Trader Joes quickly put on two new tires, then Matthew and I drove downtown to take in the Thrasher game. We made it to our seats just before the anthem, beating our hosts Reid, Andrew, and Nathan Hall.

Exciting game against on of the best teams in the NHL, the Buffalo Sabres. When Buffalo tied the game late in the first period, you could see the number of Sabres fans, at least a quarter of the crowd. Former Little League World Series Pitching Hero Chris Drury now plays with Buffalo. The Sabres tied the game at three late in the game, just after the Thrashers goalie was dazed with a hard shot. Overtime started with the Thrashers a man down, after a slashing penalty was called as regulation expired.

Overtime started tensely as the Thrashers successfully killed the penalty, and as the five minute period wound down, I thought I’d be seeing my first shootout. Then a Sabre player was sent to the penalty box with one minute left, and the Thrashers scored the game-winning power-play goal with 35 seconds left.

After the game Matthew and I drove straight to the Earharts for dinner, beating Ceil and Dawn, who had just picked up Will from his youth retreat. Tired, I came home early.

No comments: