Monday, July 06, 2009

Peachtree Road Race

Thursday we all cleaned up all day getting ready for company. Ran Anna over to ballet, way over on Lawrenceville Highway, way off Jimmy Carter...thankfully she had a ride back. That night we ate in, talked, and the kids played LIFE and cards.

Friday the girls went shopping, and I wore my Virginia friend out working on the playhouse. Built a door, put up two windows, finished the siding. Teens Will and Kirk helped. Finished just before the girls returned. Ate at a doctor’s house in Sandy SpringsUGA roommate of Ceil’s friend Dawn. Will and Matthew went to a party in northern Alpharetta…they watched Jaws in a pool. Movie ended at 11:10, so it was after midnight before I got to bed, exhausted.

Saturday I got up at 5 am, picked up the Virginia friends at six, parked near Mary Macs, and rode MARTA to Lenox, arriving too early for our Group Eight start. Neither Myron nor I felt great, but we were able to run the whole way. Even at a ten minute mile pace we had to weave through walkers and texters the whole way. We passed around SPdL around 9 am and saw some old friends…Heads, Mullens, Wisenbakers, Lights, Sapps, and Huberts.

Kirk broke ahead of the Group Seven pack at the start, giving him clear running for a bit. He finished with the 707th best time, with a 41:47 run. Will found friend Dixon just before the start…they weaved their way to a 54 minute finish. Myron and I finished with a 1:07 time, not bad, considering the crowd.

When looking at the AJC.com results later I realized Will and I had switched numbers, so all the youngsters could go off earlier than Myron’s group eight number. That meant Will’s good time inadvertently got posted to my name. I’ll take that!

Accurate column posted by Mark Bradley regarding all the Peachtree cheaters…many backed his claims, saying it was typical of this city’s poor drivers. Will be interesting to see if the race organizers take action. Since everyone wore timing chips, you’d think they’d have the data.

After the race we hung around waiting for the rest of Dixon’s family…dad Lee was Myron’s old roommate. We drove out Ponce de Leon and showed Kirk the Emory campus. Had a restful afternoon while the kids swam, but I didn’t doze off until just before they returned.

Went out to Roswell to see Banks & Shane and the fireworks. We had a crowd of about 30 people, including Becky, Willis, and Joel Norman. Anna didn’t see us head for the cars, so I had to walk back to get her at the end.

After NP, Costco, and lunch at the Earharts we all went bowling. With a crowd of 22 I was stressed, because people kept showing up Ceil hadn’t told me about. Afterwards we had pizza and cheesecake at our friend’s hotel, the NP Embassy Suites. The kids swam. I may be close to rested…just in time for work.

Work was stressful last week…a lot to do before taking off both Thursday and Friday. These next 2 weeks will be busy as well, before taking off for Myrtle Beach.

No comments: