Friday, February 05, 2010

The Absent-Minded Professor

I came into several old pair of scissors when I bought my grandfather’s house…along with tons of other stuff, both useful and not. I kept a pair at my desk at work. Since it had been my grandfather’s, I taped MURPHY on one of the blades.

Steve Apostle was always borrowing the scissors. Eventually they disappeared. Months later I was in Steve’s office when the need arose for scissors. “I have some!” he proudly exclaimed. He opened his desk drawer, pulled out a pair, and handed them to me. Sure enough, MURPHY was still taped to the side. I used the scissors, and handed them back to Steve.

Years later Steve was cleaning out his office, preparing to move back to Florida. He walked out and came up to my desk, and handed me the scissors. “I don’t know how these wound up in my desk!” he said. It was all I could do to not burst out laughing.

Perhaps I’ll save this story to tell at his retirement.

No comments: