Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The Hawk

Saturday afternoon I walked outside the garage, into the sunshine. Just then a hawk spread its wings and soared past me, not 15 feet away. It had left its perch in a Bradford pear halfway up the driveway and soared over the parked car into the woods behind the house. Pretty cool.

Early Tuesday morning I pulled out of my driveway and headed to work. About a quarter mile down the street I turned a corner and saw two crows eyeing something big in the street. At first I couldn’t see it what was, but it was a foot tall.

As I approached, the hawk turned its head and looked at me, angry I had disturbed it’s breakfast. It tried to carry the dead rabbit away, but quickly dropped it, in the hawk’s haste to fly away. I’m sure the hawk returned just after I passed by.

Around the next curve I passed a lady walking her dog. I’m sure the hawk would have time to make its getaway…this time WITH the rabbit.

No comments: