Wednesday, February 24, 2021

More on The Masters

Bobby Jones always wanted an amateur to win the Masters. To this day the tournament places special emphasis on amateurs, inviting the top amateurs from Georgia, the US, and from around the world. The amateurs get to stay on site, upstairs in the Crow’s Nest. The high amateur in honored in the Butler Cabin on live  TV.

The first amateur to finish second at the Masters was Frank Stranahan, son of a wealthy businessman. Went to Byron Nelson for lessons. Kept prodding nelson to play rounds with him. Nelson didn’t want to. Frank chided his older teacher, saying he didn’t want to lose. That did it. Nelson went out ant shot a 63, the course record. Stranahan remained an amateur because his father was so rich, he didn’t need the money.  Traveled with weights, so he could work out. A ladies man. His demeanor ruffled Clifford Roberts’ feathers. Rumor was Frank had vied for the attention of Robert’s secretary. The year after finishing second, Roberts kicked Stranahan out of the tournament, supposedly for hitting two approach shots during practice rounds. The other players were shocked, but didn’t come to his defense. Neither did Jones. Later Stranahan turned pro. Later still he entered and won seniors bodybuilding contests. Frank vowed to live to 130, but passed away at ninety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Stranahan

Pretty sure that at least in the practice rounds, the amateurs still play with the big shots. For the first several years of the Masters, in the first round the defending champion would play with Bobby Jones. Later on the amateurs and the defending champion would play with Walter Hagen or Byron Nelson.

The membership roll of Augusta National is supposedly a secret, but some names are known. A few years ago after the Masters I compiled a list of Augusta National members, using various sources on the internet. I posted it to my humble blog, which gets very few views. But I noticed that of all my posts, the membership list is regularly viewed, especially in April. While reading this book, I am adding the names of founding members and other members, including Ike and Robert Woodruff.

I never knew who Jimmy Demaret was. A colorful character. Won three Masters, more than Nelson, Hogan, or Sarazen – who got bridges named for them. When Demaret quipped “I can’t get an outhouse built with my name on it” Roberts made him apologize before inviting him back.

Once Fred Haas was putting at the Masters when a player from the group behind him hit a shot that landed on the green. After putting out Haas shouted to the player, telling him how dangerous that had been. Haas had to apologize to Roberts and Jones for raising his voice in front of the patrons.

Was thinking about Steve Little, one of  the greatest college kickers in history. Recruited to Arkansas by Frank Broyles to play QB. Broke the college record with a 67 yard field goal, which stands to this day. Struggled as the St Louis Cardinals first round draft choice, the third highest drafted kicker in history. After three years Little was released. Hours later he was involved in a high speed auto accident, losing the use of his arms and legs. He died in his 40’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Little_(American_football)

Podcasts are the big thing now. All of a sudden everyone on sports talk 680 has one, even several of the behind the scenes guys. Paul Lukas at Uni Watch has one. Johnsons Ferry church has several. A few professionals have been podcasting for years. For some in the media, its part of their job. I suppose people listen to podcasts in their cars. Guess podcasts are taking the place of radio. You can listen to whatever your specific interest is. But to me a podcast is still just two guys talking. Rambling. Do they have scripts? I would rather read a book, so that’s what I do in the car – listen to audiobooks instead of people talking. Seems more permanent.

I’ve been going more actual reading as well, perhaps as an escape from reality. Less social media and TV. When things are overwhelming I find too much comfort in food. Plus I want to crash on the couch.

Tuesdays are different with Ceil at her ministry. Gives me a chance to catch up on a project or help around the house. Not yesterday. I was trying to find out when my dad’s doctor’s appointment was, but I couldn’t find out. If it had been today I would’ve missed work. Since I didn’t know, I had to stay late at work to complete as much of tomorrow’s work as possible. Worked until 7:30. I was a zombie on the drive home. As usual, I had left the house at 7 am. Was after 8 pm before I got home, the same time as Ceil. Then I got tied up on a 33 minute phone call.

I am feeling pretty old today. The VP announced his retirement. He’s about my age. Our GM Eric will be taking his place. Eric sits near me, and he’s pumped. This leaves me as pretty much the oldest office employee here in Atlanta. Hopefully these shakeups won’t effect the team I’m on, but you never know. Just yesterday I was plotting out what I would do with my time after I retired.

Denison: when we claim that Christianity changes Christians, we must answer this question: Why do so many Christians act in such sinful ways? Three biblical responses: Separate the message from the messenger. When doctors fail us, we don’t reject medicine. Christianity never promised that Christians would be perfect. Our hope is not in the preacher but in the One being preached. We are saved not by man but by Jesus (Acts 4:12). Hold each other to the standards of Christ. Our message changes the messenger if the messenger is willing to be changed. God will not force us into repentance and godliness. But him, his Spirit can and will make us the kind of people our Father intends us to be (1 Thessalonians 4:3). Balance grace and consequences. We do not want to offer what Bonhoeffer called “cheap grace” that ignores accountability and the consequences of sin. If I drive a nail into a piece of wood, you could remove the nail but the hole remains. C. S. Lewis observed in Mere Christianity: “What Satan put into the heads of our ancestors was the idea that they could ‘be like gods’—could set up on their own as if they had created themselves—be their own masters—invent some sort of happiness for themselves outside God, apart from God. And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history—money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery—the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.”

https://www.denisonforum.org/columns/daily-article/tiger-woods-is-recovering-from-surgery-the-uniqueness-of-christian-hope-and-three-responses-when-christians-fail/

No comments: