Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Peachtree Road Race News

Big news: the Peachtree Road Race will be spread out over two days this year, Saturday and Sunday July 3rd and 4th. Numbers will be limited – no more 60,000 runners. Masks must be worn at the start and finish, and will be included with the race number.

But like I always say, every Peachtree Road Race is different. And after 35 years (for me), that’s a good thing. (note: since everyone inflates the number of Peachtrees they’ve run, I might as well too).

The t-shirt designs are out. My favorite is the Phoenix, rising from the ashes. 

https://www.ajc.com/peachtree/ajc-peachtree-road-race-what-to-know/SNPHI6H6MRGV5PL2IUQSZS3UIE/

Heard a rumor attendance at Braves games may be limited this year, especially early in the season. Same at Gwinnett.

I am thankful to have so many around me that are such good examples. I consider them friends, but in the busyness of life I don’t take the time I should to nurture and develop these friendships. My friends Lee, Reid, Rob, and Preston are also committed men of God and good Christian husbands. Joe, Dan, and John have extensive knowledge of God’s word. Yearwood and Steve Apollo helped disciple and challenge me in my faith. Lang is a devoted husband and father, and generous with his valuable time. Also super talented in so many ways. At work Steve, Eric, Rodney, and Shane are such good, hard workers, and fun to be around. Always had a man crush on Damon. I’m sure I’m forgetting several good examples.

Some people in my life serve as bad examples. I might see similarities in my life with them, and know I must work to not fall into the same negative behaviors they exhibit. I often wonder if I serve as a negative example for some people. Sometimes I see the way people speak and act, and wonder what they’re thinking. Or not thinking. Sorry - I don’t want to hang around people like that. Do they think anyone wants to? Gross.  

Guy I know texts me from time to time, like on holidays like Christmas and even Easter. When something bad happens to him or his family, I can tell he takes it hard. Recently he told me his mother had died, and his dad was having a tough time dealing with the loss. We were texting back and forth. Then I told him I would be praying for he and his father. He stopped texting me. Then Friday he texted me a happy Friday text. We texted back and forth. I told him I was with my dad in the hospital. He quickly replied “You are in my thoughts.” I thanked him.

Friday: drove home from Macon. Didn’t leave until after 7 pm, so I was late getting in. Pretty much went straight to bed after catching up with Ceil. I hadn’t gotten much sleep Thursday night in the hospital, after only getting three hours of sleep on Wednesday night.

Saturday: slept late, or tried to. Cleaned some upstairs. Laundry. Cleaned the kitchen. Read my book on The Masters, which includes a chapter on the struggle to keep both trees and grass healthy. Hard to do both at the same time. Worked out in the yard, getting ready for spring, I cut the grass. Supper at Moxie Burger, and a Hallmark movie.

On line Sunday School. Read more. Popcorn. Lasagna for supper. More Hallmark. Didn’t sleep well Sunday night, knowing I had to wake up early to drive to Macon.

Woke up before my alarm yesterday morning. Heard the rain, so I got up and left even earlier than I’d planned. Had thought about stopping by the office to pick up some things to work on, but with the rain I wanted to get through town before traffic. Stopped ion McDonough for relatively cheap gas - $1.419. The rest of the way I got 41.8 mpg, a record for the big CRV.

Got to Macon before 8 am. Visiting hours weren’t until ten, so I stopped by Kroger and Wendy’s. Made work calls and returned emails. Lots going on at the hospital. Plans kept changing every five minutes. They were going to do another swallow test, then they discharged him instead. Dad was accepted at a good rehab facility, and the ambulance took him there. I followed. Grabbed him some clothes and other items from the house. Was after seven before I headed back. Talked with Ceil and Will and a family friend on the way back. Got 32.5 mpg, still hard to do in a CRV. Arrived home at 9:15. A long day.       

Weighed myself this morning. I am a good five pounds lighter than I was a few weeks ago. I have been trying to eat less, and all the recent stress has probably contributed as well. Here in March I’ll try to make a concerted effort to work out, eat right, and get back in shape.

Got to work this AM and all the furniture had been removed from the lobby. Figured they were getting ready to have a squaredance.

Lady I know from Woodstock asked a question on social media. They had friends planning to visit Atlanta that were considering renting a house in SW Atlanta, between the airport and downtown. I noticed the 26 comments, so I settled in for some good reading. Sure enough, most of her suburban friends advised staying outside the perimeter. One person said to stay away from Buckhead. My son disagreed with all the country folk, and a few other brave souls came to his defense. Why vacation in the Atlanta suburbs? They’re just like any other American suburb. Same chain stores and restaurants. If you want a unique experience, stay downtown or on the Westside, or in Inman Park – anywhere north of I-20.

No comments: