Thursday, July 07, 2022

The Peachtree: People & Sneaker Watching

The Peachtree can be a hassle, walking a mile or two both before and after the “race’, as well as trying to run around all the walkers stretched out all across the road. Lots of memories all along the six mile course. Good people watching. ESPN’s Maria Taylor runs with her family.

I like to check out all the sneakers as well. This year Hoka seemed to be the most popular brand. Like many popular brands, Hoka is about to jump the shark, offering odd colors to appear to the outlet store shopping masses. Saw several wearing the new white Peachtree adidas, which looks decent save for the little white stars on the three navy stripes. A few Ons mixed in, but only two or three of the just-released On Cloud Monsters that I have on order.

I'd thought I had worn a favorite pair of shorts in a previous Peachtree, but surely not. They were too long, especially when they got wet. Slowed me down big time. Should've worn shorter shorts like Will.  

Back in the office this morning after my Augusta trip. Trying to catch up on emails, whittling 70 down to 36 (now 31). By the end of the day I hope to be down below twenty. Made it to 16. 

Tuesday while packing I realized my wallet had been left in Ceil’s car, so I had to swing down to W&MC’s house on the way out of town. Then I played nine holes in the heat. Quite different conditions. Nice to have dry ground instead of all the dew, but my hands were wet with sweat. Headed out 20 east, where traffic had already gotten heavy.

Made my now usual stop for Baskin Robbins in Covington, and arrived at the hotel at 6:15. My coworker had finished eating at Roadhouse before six, so I had to eat alone at Farmhaus Burgers. Very good. Back to the room the watch Holey Moley, and work through personal emails.

Up early Wednesday morning. Leaving the hotel before 6:30, the humidity was already oppressive. Picked up 20 biscuits and 15 hashbrowns at Chickfila for the crew. Started inventory around 7:15-ish and finished counting by 9:30. Spent the rest of the morning balancing and fixing the oddballs. My coworker from Norcross planned to lunch with a vendor. I didn’t want to leave the rest of the crew stranded, so I made a run to Bojangles for chicken (tenders and breasts), sweet tea, macaroni & cheese, Bo rounds, biscuits, and fries. And a farewell cake.

Ate with the crew, then headed home. My little Corolla got almost 38 MPG city/highway from Sunday to Wednesday. Stopped for gas and more Baskin Robbins. Traffic wasn’t too bad. Couple of popup thunderstorms. Made it home by 4:30, worn out from the long day in the heat. Chicken salad for supper. I made a sandwich with toasted bread, mustard, tomatoes, and cheese. Ceil put on a Hallmark movie, but I went to bed at 9:30.

Up early this morning to play golf (sunrise at top). Teed off at 6:15 am. 96% humidity. Took my time, often hitting a mulligan - though my first shot is usually better, like my tee shot on two. 

I love playing alone, but have a hard time tracking where my ball went. Made it in to the office at 8:30.

My friend Steve’s father passed away yesterday. Not sure when the funeral is. Stephanie Dukes wrote a nice tribute about Bill. Not sure when that funeral is.

ANDRES GALARRAGA  [SABR Bio] was the first player to strike out 150 times the same season he drove in 150 runs. While playing for Colorado in 1996, Galarraga led the majors with 150 RBI. However, three other players had more than his 157 strike outs that season. Sammy Sosa accomplished this twice soon after, 1998 & 2001. He was hit-by-pitch in each of the first three games the 2000 season.

Everyone is an expert on world trade these days (and infectious diseases, etc.), but it seems odd that the US would be exporting oil to China at a time like this.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/oil-us-reserves-head-overseas-gasoline-prices-stay-high-2022-07-05/__;!!AE29DT8V!TT9jYP9AH6YAZuQV5drjcZdy3GK-ewCMeFDPNAQa2YR25rsSJx-Mu3WPx0dew2APyvX2UsHbnLQL6y2s86A$

Anti-Christian accusations to avoid.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://stream.org/3-top-anti-christian-accusations-in-post-roe-v-wade-america-and-how-to-answer-them/__;!!AE29DT8V!XaAaKMpWdZt5q9qKuLJvx1KssqqFkttFoUG3hJswnUtGOvSIILsWKd74HsojW0sO_nV3YZdeS1l3AxvS5pk$

A federal judge upheld the state of Georgia’s voter integrity law, which states independent organizations cannot mail out pre-printed absentee ballots without making it clear who the ballot came from. Such ballots cannot be mailed to voters who had already requested an absentee ballot from the county.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://conservativebrief.com/federal-10-64243/__;!!AE29DT8V!TCiiKoTmdlAuPAr697MBwYOode8Nk8aPunaYy-F4DifRQxcbM65xeo5QvWUs99O5AjaCGlJSSJh1DQjR-JY$

More Americans are struggling, with inflation and high gas prices of much greater concern than gun control or the Ukraine. 

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_070522/__;!!AE29DT8V!XfV-nLaDWUeQcpeVbgy2zKa79QVIAqkLDx26OU8CASaYitYcXSB0QW8o39LBUiGcpZKH3FDkgtDs24YOXEk$

No comments: