Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Maurice Cheeks: Anthem Singer

Twenty years ago today: a 13 year old girl forgets the words to the national anthem. Trail Blazers head coach Maurice Cheeks steps up and guides her through the rest of the way. Mo said that as a father he hated seeing the girl struggle. Didn’t realize when he stepped forward that he would have to sing. Cheeks said he knew all the words since he’s heard it so many times as a player and coach.

Later they appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Years later the Sixers flew Natalie over to sing the anthem. Later she moved to LA and tried out for American Idol. There were rumors she was crowned Miss Rhode Island.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2009/11/01/star-spangled-save-what-maurice-cheeks-did-for-anthem-singer-in-portland-is-still-remembered/61261905007/__;!!AE29DT8V!U_Pa5ntQPTppfQHkHH_LAcTF2DyhvhRcY6uS4zdGQx7eoKihQXINMMz9Q2TTO0vU9xoFk3iChe5ZVnU_CDI$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://youtu.be/q4880PJnO2E__;!!AE29DT8V!T-we-cP7tQvyuBJZNG7dae1sdzjMCC5CgsuNNGpo8HoBEz66GZSGqsWMIM-1WWXT7c7sVBLecWrstROTh-s$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/2009/04/all_grown_up_just_like_the_bla.html__;!!AE29DT8V!QPAKOxRprIheYu4QvvGQX7x3fXHsCFOQ95_QcRPm2Qz1XqDvbAyFtFSGKUJu8n8QmoQde7648ZVEZ9bdtAw$

Monday I left work shortly after five. Met former coworker Randy (below) down the street at The Tavern at Medlock, a popular work lunch spot. Ordered a burger and fries. I’ll give it a B+. Randy’s tuna melt looked good. Had a good time talking until 7:30. Home to watch another good episode of Doctor Cha. Episode 10. Followed the Braves on my phone.

Tuesday: up early to lift weights. Parked in the back parking lot at work and hiked to the office, since we were having the retiree  BBQ in the front lot. Good to see my former coworkers. Wayne Connell has lost weight. A nice chat with his wife. Randy. Terry G drove up from Savannah. Mel looked good. Tarquinio’s hair is grey. JT Morris was hanging in there. Good to chat with Sherry. Tingle was upbeat. Hoyle Cannon hasn’t changed. A nice chat with Mesnard. Also Featheringham. Beverly gave us an update on Sue. Irma told us about Paulette. Doug Cole lives in Macon. His wife teaches at FPDS. Joe Moyer is still spry. Judy Morrison was walking around. Good to see Bob Lowery. Didn’t see Samnang Chea. Jim Davis shaved his moustache. Bruce Ford looks good. Organized to Judy Sotor.

Also got to visit with employees I raely see. Ginger and I talked bobbleheads. Nicol was hot. Talked retirement with Grogan. Bury and Annette showed up.

Busy afternoon yesterday after the BBQ. Worked til 6:45 then had to walk to the back parking lot. Had to stop for gas on the way home. Also Dollar Tree. Leftover beef tips and broccoli. Watched Jeopardy and The Neighborhood. Last Man Standing. Played on my laptop.

New low weight this morning. Something I’m starting to do is getting rid of pants and shirts that are too big for me, all the XXLs. Some I bought because they were great garments, but I just don’t need to wear them any more. The nice ones I will sell.

Ran my three fastest miles this morning, averaging 11:22 per mile. Broke the previous record I’d set on Monday. One mile in and my earbud batteries died, so I couldn’t listen to my book.

Today was C’s last day at school. She was there yesterday before heading to The Table. May is always a stressful month. She could retire from teaching because she’s helping out with Shiv twice a week.

This week is “wellness week” and they have ingredients to make smoothies all week. Made my first ever smoothie yesterday: berries, pineapple, yogurt, vanilla milk, orange/pineapple juice (below). Today I put in the vanilla milk, a banana, and my chocolate protein powder. I never eat bananas. Not sure that’s why I get leg cramps at night. I would make more smoothies if getting out the blender wasn’t such a chore.

I think Bellwood has a cold brew something or the other. Speaking of Bellwood Coffee, Matthew started working there last week, at the Bolton Road location, Wednesday thru Sunday. Some mornings he has to arrive at 4 am to start making the pastries. Hopefully this will stick.

Last week when I ordered a milkshake at Arbys I could’ve gotten chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry, but ordered jamocha instead. Very good. As close to coffee as I'll get.

ALBERT PUJOLS  [B-R Bio] led the majors in runs scored in 5 of his first 10 years in the majors. He led MLB in runs in 2003 (137), 2004 (133), 2005 (129), 2009 (124), and 2010 (115). Only Ted Williams had a more prolific streak to begin a career, leading the AL in runs in 6 of his first 8 seasons, five of those leading MLB. Joe Torre holds the single-game record, hitting into four double plays. Jim Rice owns the single-season mark in1984 (36), but Albert led the league 4 times in GDP, three of those leading the Bigs, finishing with a record 426 GDP. In his rookie season, he had a successful sacrifice bunt. Two decades later it is still the only one he ever hit. In the 7th inning on 16-Jun-1991, Pujols bunted teammates J.D. Drew & Placido Polanco to 2nd and 3rd base. They both scored two batters later. 

DENISON: there is one fatal shark attack in the US every two years. On average, 69 people are killed by lawnmowers every year.

No comments: