Saturday, May 27, 2023

Winnie Escapes

The other night I was taking Winnie outside before going to bed. We had forgotten to turn on the front lights, so the yard was dark. Lately Winnie likes to hurry outside in an effort to catch a squirrel or bug. She heads straight to the first tree and looks up (but she never checks any other tree). This time she somehow knew something was in the front yard, because when we came out of the garage she bolted left down the walkway to the front yard. I didn’t have a good grip on her leash, and couldn’t hang on. Winnie disappeared into the darkness. I couldn’t see anything. I called for Winnie. Then I saw a deer dart across the street from out yard.

Great I thought. If Winnie chases the deer, we’ll never see her again. I hadn’t brought my phone with me, but I tried to call Ceil on my Apple Watch. Couldn’t get a connection. I was calling out for Winnie. A second deer crossed the street. Finally Winnie returned to me. Looked like she was scared of the deer – they’re bigger than squirrels and bugs.

Wednesday: left work shortly after five. Ceil made homemade pizza for supper. Very good. Lots of sauce. So many pizzas these days don’t have enough sauce. I say the more sauce the better. Watched The Neighborhood. Still have several unwatched episodes to catch up on. Calvin was wearing a nice blue pair of Pumas that I’ve had my eye on. Also watched Jeopardy and Chicago Med. 

Thursday: up early to lift weights. Need to run, but put two hilly miles on my legs yesterday.

Etiquette rules that still should be followed. I added the last five. 

1. RSVP in a timely manner.

2. Take off your sunglasses indoors, and when greeting someone (also hats).

3. Returning phone calls.

4. Waiting in line, taking your turn, and not breaking in line.

5. Holding the elevator for someone.

6. Being on time.

7. Opening doors for others.

8. Saying please, thank you, may I, etc.

9. Asking permission before doing something.

10. mailing thank you notes.

11. Minding your own business.

12. Making introductions.

13. Standing to shake hands, and when meeting someone new.

14. Apologizing, sincerely, in person.

15. Not taking off your shoes in public.

16. Using good table manners. Not woofing down your food.

17. Pulling out the good china.

18. Remembering names. I am terrible at this.

19. Handwriting and mailing letters.

20. If someone has you over for dinner, later have them over to your house. We are terrible about this.

21. Don’t take coffee, water bottles, snacks, etc into church.

22. Clean up after yourself. Leave a place nicer than how you found it.

ME: I take the time to type things like this to better internalize them. 

https://www.rd.com/list/etiquette-rules-should-never-abandon/?fbclid=IwAR2DAlON1A738vmOAuE1CHH2pK0FqUEkwfFI5gD6D0_58LjXOjxAXeDjtu0&trkid=soc-rd-facebook&mibextid=Zxz2cZ  

Shivonne watches runners pass by on the Atlanta Beltline.

JOE DiMAGGIO [SABR Bio] coached the A’s in hitting for two seasons, in 1968-69. He was on the Orioles board of directors during the ownership period of Edward Bennett Williams, 1977-88. Joe  beat Al Simmons’ record for the most RBI in a major leaguer’s first ten seasons. From 1936 through 1948 DiMaggio racked up 1,277 RBI (he missed three years due to military service - 1943-45). Simmons had 1,276 RBI from 1924-1933. Joe led the majors in triples as a rookie, but never again. He had 15 triples in 1936. He averaged double figures per season, but never led again. He wore number 9 as a rookie, then 5 for the rest of his career.

No comments: