Thursday, September 28, 2023

Johnston's Ferry

This past Sunday before preaching there was a 40th anniversary video for JFBC. Pastor Clay and Bryant Wright spoke for a short time.

Clay went off on a funny historical rant about how people still call it “Johnsons Ferry” instead of Johnson Ferry. He said (correctly, I think) that the man who ran the ferry was actually named JOHNSTON. When he died, they got the name wrong on her tombstone. Then robbers stole Johnston’s body from the grave, in hopes of getting paid for selling the body to a medical school for research. Not sure they ever got paid. After they stole the body, they carried it across the river on Johnston’s own ferry. We’ll see if the next time Clay tells this story if he adds to it and embellishes it even more.

If Clay has a hard time with Johnson’s Ferry, I should tell him about all the hubbub over the years about the hyphen in Second-Ponce de Leon Baptist Church. I remember the times SPdL pencils were ordered, with the name of the church on the pencils – but at the last moment someone had to hand draw the hyphen in on the pencils. Remember that?

Braves win game 102, a walkoff in the bottom of the tenth. Acuna stole his 70th base to go with his 40 home runs. Some still think Mookie Betts should win MVP.

Replays showed Snit was right: the passed ball that allowed a Cubs run to score was actually a foul ball. Click here for an article and video replays. I was trying to follow the game but missed that one. Someone had commented how they didn’t know how all 4 umps could miss that call.

Man I worked till 6:15 last night. Drove home. Ceil was worn out from her half day at school. I took her to Whole Foods and another place. Then she cooked bacon, eggs, grits, and toast. 

C said she felt better. After helping with the dishes and taking out the trash, it was after 9 pm before I was finally able to sit out the couch. Then I didn’t go to bed until 10:30 because I did a few things on my laptop.

Only had time this morning to run two miles, so I made them fast. Mile 2 was about the fastest mile I had run in years.

Denison on weaponizing terminology: a VA training video correctly states, “Language has a profound impact on what people hear and learn.” Therein lies my point: one of my persistent frustrations across decades of cultural engagement has been the degree to which opponents have weaponized euphemisms in service to their various causes.

No comments: