Thursday, June 15, 2006

Bobby Dews Strikes Again

Last night Matthew made up his own word search puzzle.
Most of the extra letters were X’es, or numbers.
There were only five words to find…
TACOS
ARE
GOOD
NO
GREAT

He said he didn’t realize it, but there were 8 other words as well…
XMEN
CURRENT
BOBBYDEWS
ME
YOU
AND
EVERYONE

Not long ago Betemit hit a HR into the RF bullpen, and you could see Bobby Dews near his usual spot, raising both arms signaling touchdown.

Last night I had the game on off and on, between washing the car and taking Anna and Matthew to the pool. When Helms hit the game-tying HR, I was on the phone with the Coleys. They were out on a date and were wondering if I had the showtimes for the Picture Show. I felt like I was Kramer on the phone, acting like a recording of the movie times. I should’ve hopped on the internet, as I have it bookmarked, but instead unsuccessfully rifled through the garbage looking for the AJC theatre listings. When Helms hit it, I decided not to give Bryan an update on the game.

Saw both managers warming up their pitchers from the previous inning in the 9th, only to change before the first batter. I wonder if that won’t be employed more throughout the year, though both managers had legit (and different) reasons. It would be a long shot to execute three consecutive bunt plays, using three guys who had hardly bunted at all throughout the year (or career). Had Renteria’s bunt worked, they still would’ve walked Chipper, and not much would’ve changed. Missed the Remlinger/Chipper play.

There’s no big problem with the offense, they’re scoring runs most of the time…and several hitters have yet to get going. Five should be enough to win…at least it used to be. In the 80’s the AJC had a weekly corner devoted to answering reader questions on Braves and baseball. I got published at least twice, once asking about quality starts, and again about AFC upper deck HRs.

Took my laptop to the pool last night, and put a big dent into my essay on the Coke sweepstakes.

No comments: