Thursday, June 08, 2006

Ga Tech: Movin' Into the Nineties!

Interesting and true comment from the new GT AD, when asked if “Tech’s long and storied athletic history give Tech an edge in recruiting?” No, he replied…teenagers don’t have a connection with the past. The article, and seemingly Tech’s entire approach to sports, has always been the “we’re so great…look what we’ve done in the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s. The history was great…I love stuff like that…but it certainly doesn’t win games now. Nice to know we’ve got someone running the show who understands what is and isn’t needed.

Last night Ceil and I went to Sam Flax, IKEA, and Atlantic Station. Ceil wanted to get a bunch of small glass frames. When we got home she put several of cutouts in them to hang on our walls. She wants more! Ate a late meal afterwards at the OK Café. One of Will’s baseball coaches was in the booth behind me, and we had a chat about ball. He’s one I hadn’t had the chance to talk to much, so that was good. the Colt team…15 & 16 year olds, where the competition is really tough. He’s looking forward to Will moving up, but that won’t be this fall! Will is playing for that same Shaw Park squad he played 3-4 games for earlier this spring. They’d like him to go to Cooperstown, but I don’t know if that will work out. Friday we’re going to the lake with friends.

I checked into the AirTran vouchers, talked with an agent…we could’ve gone to SF in September. Since I delayed making plans early, nothing was available in June or August. Now my thinking is to book in December or January for next June, soon after the MLB schedules come out. Ceil wouldn’t mind us all going to NYC in December, but I think the kids wouldn’t like the cold…being outside for extended periods while walking, taking buses/subways/taxis. But I’ve learned a lot more about the process. I had checked flight times, and had hoped to travel similar to how y’all did, in terms of flight times.

Yesterday my boss called me and a coworker in to let us know he’s moving to Orlando. Shouldn’t be a surprise, he has said he wants to return there. He only has a few years left, so the timing is right if he wants the company to take up the tab. He’s been fixing up his Decatur condo, and he’s repeatedly said we need to be ready for when they make our department report to the Atlanta people.

I’ve probably said recently that I was sure my recent raise had more to do with other stuff than the fact I deserved it……the struggling co-worker, now this move. Since I do work for the entire southern division, Atlanta won’t want to be charged with my entire salary, so in the next few weeks I’ll need to work to make sure my future is secure, and that I’m reporting to someone favorable, that I don’t get lost in any shuffle. The Atlanta people are good, as are some Operations/Quality people…that would mean more travel, which wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Most days I exchange emails with a friend on what’s going on with our families and the Braves, and I also swap stories with Lang’s dad. A while ago I figured my parents wouldn’t mind me sending the stuff to them as well. Last week my mom didn’t know who Mia Hamm was…the famous USA soccer player from UNC who married baseball’s Nomar Garrciapara.

No comments: