Thursday, February 08, 2007

Rite of Spring: Buying a New Mitt

My Dale Murphy Rawlings Fastback is at about 17 years old. The inside leather is cracked and peeling, and in the spring the laces between the fingers finally broke. My old friend could be fixed, but it seemed time to put her out to pasture. Though this glove didn’t see many years of actual action, it still held several memories. This was the glove I wore at the Cubs Fantasy Camp…you can still barely make out the faded Moe Drabowsky autograph.

I considered buying a replica of a 1950’s era three fingered glove, made by Akedema. Even put it on my Christmas list, to no avail. But that mitt is small and flat, made before basket-type gloves became popular. Though it would be fun to wear while playing catch and during Little-League practices, it would make catching much more difficult.

Since Christmas I haven’t made it a priority to get a glove, only looking one day at Dick’s and Play It Again Sports. Will likes Wilson models, and the Wilson I had borrowed at practice yesterday was comfortable and nice. Mizuno and Nike had many models at Dick’s. Perhaps Rawlings doesn’t have the market share they used to, but they’re still my favorite.

Then Sunday Ceil had to stop by Target on the way home from church. As usual, I stayed in the van, this time with Matthew and Will. Then I remembered I wanted to check out the gloves. Didn’t have my hopes up. I just wanted to get a decent model for a good price. Considering this is a prime glove buying time of the year, Target had a pretty slim selection, much less than I’d seen in the past. Being left-handed, there were even fewer choices. All they had were a few Wilsons and Mizunos – all right-handed. There was one lefty, a Rawlings. I searched around a little more, but it was the only one. A decent model, a two-tone light and dark brown fastback.

Then I noticed it had a $9.99 clearance sticker on it, but when I scanned it, it rang up 50% off…$4.99. Now I have a new Rawlings glove!

I have some lists of important stuff like shoes, Peachtree Road Races run, caps, etc, but not gloves. (Wait, maybe I do!). Yesterday when thinking about celebrating the occasion with writing this story, I thought about other gloves I’ve had…
...Nondescript Little League glove, tan. Left it next to the most northwestern practice field backstop at Macon’s Central City Park after a practice.
...I purchased a McGregor Ron Fairly first-baseman’s mitt from Charlie Wood’s Sporting Goods, probably while playing Pony League ball. The Braves were wearing royal then, so that was the color I bought, though I was never on a royal team. Over time the bright color faded. As much as I can recall, this was my only glove for several years after number one was lost, I must’ve worn it in the outfield as well. This was the mitt that led to me being tossed from a church softball game in the late 70’s (more on that later). Eventually this mitt was also lost, or it may have just become old and unused.
...Don Gullett Fielder’s Glove. At some point I must have purchased another glove, since I don’t recall using the blue mitt in the outfield for 4 years of Tech intramural softball. I remember having a tan Don Gullett autograph model. I must’ve worn this glove through Tech and many years on the same navy blue church team, coached by Steve Norman. Last night I watched the Super Bowl with two former teammates.
...In the late 80’s I upgraded, buying the long-coveted tan Rawlings Fastback glove I had always wanted. Had it less than a year when I lost it at summer youth camp in Alabama. Left it under a tree and never saw it again. Don’t remember the player’s name. After camp I bought the Dale Murphy glove.
...As a boy I also got an old tan first-baseman’s mitt. Instead of webbing the leather looped up, like another finger. Kinda cheap, but the leather was soft. Guess my dad got rid of the mitts I left lying around unused.

In the late nineties I found an ancient mitt at a Salvation Army type store, and since have collected a few old gloves that I’ve run across. I’ll occasionally oil them, but I need to more often. They include…
...A Yogi Berra era catchers mitt, flat and round, not really hinged.
...A flat fielder’s glove with a metal button to buckle on the back, that I unprofessionally date to the 50s.
...Warren Spahn fielder’s glove…right-handed.
...Tiny Rawlings Brooks Robinson glove, with not only his autograph, but also a drawing of Brooks on the mitt.
...Moose Skowron left-handed first-baseman’s mitt, similar to 5 above, just higher quality. Perhaps the prize of the “collection”. I resist temptation to play catch with this nice old mitt.
I may have one or two others as well.

No comments: