Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tuesday at the Ted

Wednesday afternoon was raining in Duluth, but I left work at five and could soon see that the downtown sky was clear. I made good time, and by 6:08 I was seated in the LF stands watching the Rockies take BP. The Bobby Cox bobblehead looked nothing like him, but it did have a little rail he was standing next to.

Saw two guys I remembered from the Marlins game two weeks ago. One was a young guy in a Chipper NL all-star BP jersey. His glove held three balls he must’ve caught during BP. Later I saw another dude who brings one of those cups-on-a-string to snag balls that fall just beyond the fence. I asked him if he got any today, and he said several. He always gives the balls to kids, which is nice. I also spoke to the nice old lady at the designated driver booth…she was rocking a new navy Braves jersey.

I had the dugout seats, which was nice. During the pregame meeting at the plate Rockies 1B coach Glenallen "I hate spiders" Hill HUGGED an umpire...similar to what NBA players do before tipoff. Amazing!

In the bottom of the first Chipper was called out on strikes, on a bad call. he was pissed, with RISP, but said nothing. Later the ump called out a Rockie, who briefly voiced his displeasure with walking back to the dugout. The ump took off his mask and stared as the batter walked away...just waiting for him to say something else. This was the ump that later called the balk that ended the game...though it appeared it was indeed an obvious balk.

I had to leave after the third inning, and Campillo still had a no-hitter (in the parking lot I heard the Colorado leadoff hitter get a hit). Made it out to Woodstock to pick up Will and Matthew.

Parr looked good again…but why did he try to take third on a fly to left-center? Too bad he didn’t get the win.

If you want Phillies tickets I can probably get them for you…the weeknight tickets don’t go fast in September.

No comments: