Monday, September 22, 2008

Relay to the Hospital

Thursday night I drove over to Living Science to pick up the carpool. I saw Joel Norman come out of the Bible Study, and he looked ok. He had been ok in the earlier prayer group, and then played in the big kickball game. During the Bible Study he said he couldn’t see to read, but said he was ok. Later he walked back inside, and when I went in he was laying on the couch, perhaps suffering from dehydration. I was quickly enlisted to take him home.

On the way it was evident he was in a state of confusion. We got him some Poweraide, but it was clear something was wrong. Will and Abby were worried, not their usual bubbly selves. I called Becky, who had earlier been called by the grownups at Living Science. I met Becky at Holcomb Bridge and 400, so she could head south to the hospital. She was clearly upset when she saw Joel. I called Ceil, who drove down to be with Becky. Younger brother Charles came home with me and Will, and when older brother David came over to pick up Charles, they hung around for a while.

I was reminded of our friends son Andrew, who had a stroke and subsequent like-threatening gamma knife brain surgery, with a year’s recovery without sports. Andrew made a miraculous recovery, but how might Joel fare? Another East Cobb family’s son had a similar stroke, with a much more drastic result. I’m sure Becky was recounting her previous losses…her husband and good friend Jenny.

At the hospital Joel was able to catch a nap and get an IV, and was starting to look and feel better. They wanted him to spend the night, so he could see more neurologists and have an MIR (The MIR wasn’t until noon today). So far, so good.

Abby says her brother Spencer could be an Olympic caliber swimmer.

I’m watching the Braves more these days, soaking it up before the season ends.

Uni Watch had an interesting interview yesterday with the beat writer for the NYY……a 33 year old who published his own baseball magazine as a kid, which was subscribed to be Costas, Versay, George Will, and others. He’s in to unis as well.

Had my recap of my recent Braves game visit published as a blog entry on the Facebook Braves page, where there are few blogs posted…it was my second. There are fewer comments about those blogs…but lots of “discussion” (with little regard to facts).

No comments: