Wednesday, April 15, 2009

$$$

While we both agree about schooling, ballet, and baseball (& other opportunities we can’t afford, like art & music) our day-to-day spending is not cut to a level where we can afford the choices we’ve made. Cutting it so close drives me crazy, making time together tense (& worse).

Ceil’s mom sent money for clothes. Whenever she does, more is spent. C just got Will a bunch of clothes for the trip from Dick’s. Even on sale it was more expensive than similar items at Kohl’s, Marshall’s, or TJMaxx. I took Will to return a pair of a too-large pair of shorts. There weren’t any in his size, and Will didn’t understand why I wouldn’t pay ten bucks MORE for a pair.

Last night Will & I went to the Barrett Dicks SG and came up dry, so I got our money back. Then we found a cooler pair down the street at Marshall’s that was cheaper. But he found this Braves cap he liked for $7.99, and I found a fitted 1974 Braves cap in my size, so I wound up spending $17.00 more. Just what we needed. This time Ceil wasn’t happy…more about Will’s ugly cap than the money.

It is therapeutic to write. I was thinking about Andy’s story of the small group that completely opened up their finances to each other, and whether that would work with Ceil and me. Today my office neighbor Brad had a comment that let me know he’s of a similar mindset. Yesterday at Chickfila we both separately “splurged” because whatever we bought, we could later get the same items free. He added fries to his order. I got TWO sandwiches (still used a coupon!).

I’d opt out of more SC trips, but the long drive is tough on Ceil, and it’s quantity family time, though the quality isn’t great. By doing the packing and stuff, it gives the rest more time with cousins, etc. I consider it taking one for the team, though my attitude could be better. I do get to sleep in, eat good (too good), relax, and catch up on computer/internet stuff.

The Marlins always play the Braves tough. G Anderson was having a tough time in LF. Cox had some funny comments, being positive about calling up JoJo.

Our company is closing the Knoxville plant, because many customers have shifted that business to other parts of the country. Mentioned that to my UT friend Jim, who just lost his IBM programming job. His friend was a long-time Weather Channel on-air guy who recently was laid off, who was interviewing at a small Knoxville station. He’d have to do early mornings and the late news, as well as weekends…a lot of work.

Got a comment on my blog about a post I’d written over a year ago, from a GT guy I’m friends with on Facebook. I figured he found the blog through my Facebook page. I responded to the blog post, telling him to tell his wife I said hello. He responded back saying he didn’t know who I was. Bob!

May go see Benjamin Button at the Picture Show tomorrow.

No comments: