Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Labor Day Weekend: GT & UGA Radio Review

Friday I worked late, just cleaning up old stuff.

Saturday I finished painting the outside of the playhouse, looks good…need to take pictures. While painting I listened to the Buck Belue pregame, the Tech pregame, the GT win, the UGA loss, and then the Braves until dark. GT and UGA are on that ISP Network, more corporate than local…less “home-team” commercials/flavor. Both ex-QB color men, Zeier and Strom, have zero personality (and Zeier does Budweiser commercials!). Strom sounds like he learned broadcasting at the feet of Jeff Van Note. Sounded like UGA couldn’t catch a break, but the announcers didn’t wail about it.

Comparatively, Wes Durham is great, working in lots of personal stories, but has to yuck it up with the sideline reporter. Tech changed back to the shiny gold rather than last year’s mustard yellow. Buck mentioned Chipper was making his way to the ESPN stage, so I went inside to catch his performance. Very knowledgeable, as the ESPN guys mentioned…”he brought a lot to the table”. Don’t know what his thing with turtlenecks is. Every time I flipped on the Braves this weekend they weren’t doing well, so I saw/heard more football.

Sunday AM I locked myself out of the house, without even the car keys. Couldn’t go to church, so I washed the car, worked in the yard, and took a nap. Later Will and I drove down to Macon…should’ve taken Matthew, but he had schoolwork to do.

Monday’s 10K race was OK, since it was straight through all my old stomping grounds. Both Will and I bettered our Peachtree times by just a little. We only did it because my dad entered us in the race. Will was 5th out of all the 16 year olds, and I was the 9th 50 year old, but that’s not saying much. Left my wallet in Macon.

Went to the Macon Chickfila with my parents, and a news crew interviewed me, Will, and my dad. We performed miserably and didn’t make the broadcast. My quote did appear in the internet article http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=68785

Arrived home to find Ceil sick, so the rest of the day I was on my feet cleaning up. Monday night we went to Kroger at 6, then I dropped Ceil off at the Avenue, and picked up something at Trader Joes (that we forgot at Kroger) next to the Willys…must’ve been 6:45 or 7. The name of that shopping center is Pinestraw Plaza, because for years and years that land remained undeveloped, and people sold pine straw there.

Drove the kids to Living Science Tuesday AM so Ceil could sleep in.

That Marietta girl is something, isn’t she. Might have to learn her name.

No comments: