Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Comments at Will's Mugging

FUN FACT: On my desk at work sit two mugs…got both of them in high school. I won’t say how long ago that was.

Thank you all for coming today. This means a lot to Will. Means a lot to Ceil and me as well. God has blessed us so much today…even though I’m kinda sticky in this heat.

If I could write a letter to myself when I was 16, I would tell myself that I should be like Will Murphy. Not for the things that you have done, but for who you are…the young man that you are becoming, sometimes in spite of me.

Will, I can see a lot of myself in you, both good and bad. As a father I certainly haven’t always been the greatest example. I pray that you, like me, will let God work in your life and mold you, to enhance the good and do away with the bad. Many times I can see you choosing better ways than my poor example, and for that I am thankful.

Reminds me of something on TV last night. You may have seen it as well. If so, I am sorry…please keep quiet! A dad was talking to his sons. Like many fathers on TV these days, this dad is not portrayed in the nicest of terms…hopefully no one sees me like him.

After sharing good news, the father shouted “Five second dance party!” and started dancing. The cool sons did not join in. At the end of the show something good happened, and one of the sons exclaimed “Five second dance party!” and started to dance. Then he walked away, saying “I’m becoming my father.” (I see familiar nods from two or three girls, including Haley).

Where I am cautious and quiet, Will is outgoing. Mr. D reminds me that I didn’t say anything on the first two Expeditions I went on. I finally came out of my shell on the last two Senior Retreats. It is great that God made Will the way he did. It does drive me crazy to see a video of him jumping into the Chattahoochee on a bicycle. Dad, Joel, Charles, everyone was doing it! Will, who did it first? Will (smiling proudly): I did! Here’s a picture of Will jumping into a pool, OVER a friend on a raft. Note it’s the shallow end of the pool. Don’t ever lose that, Will. God will use that boldness for His glory.

Like me, sometimes I see Will feeling like he’s gotten the short end of the stick. Life isn’t fair. I pray he will see all the great things and fun things he’s able to do. That he will know his great help at home is such a blessing for Ceil and me. That his example so impacts Anna and Matthew.

Romans 12: 17-21 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with all men. Do not take revenge, my beloved, but instead leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “vengeance is mine, I will repay” says the Lord. But if you enemy is hungry, feed him, if he is thirsty, give him something to drink, for in so doing, you will heap burning goals on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Think about whose name you can insert there for the word “enemy”…sometimes your best friend, a parent, or a sister or brother.

Being an example here at Living Science, on the baseball field, in the dugout. It’s not the great catch or big hit or the hustle, but even more what I’ve seen Will do in baseball, & DJ and Kara in basketball…something y’all wouldn’t make a big deal about: compassion for an overmatched opponent. Up 30 points, they may let an opponent get off a shot, as opposed to blocking or stealing the ball. (Joel still goes for the block!).

The first two verses of that same chapter say…Romans 12:1-2 I urge you therefore brothers by the mercy of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, acceptable to God, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you will be able to prove what the will of God is: that what is good, acceptable, and right.

Will has some of this down already…hopefully most of you do. Will, I encourage you to not be content with where you are, but always keep reaching and growing, taking the next step.

(Next I tell the Steve Norman hiking story. Becky moves forward to hear every word).

As a parent, I must continually give Will up to God…he is not mine, but God’s. Now at 16, this lesson is all the more meaningful to me. I pray for God’s protection, moreover, that God will use Will for great and mighty works.

One of the great things that happens at Living Science is when parents get to come in to watch the presentations, and encourage and pray for their child. But it’s even more meaningful for the students when an older servant leader does the encouraging, because they speak the same language. Try as I might, being older, that’s something I just can’t replicate. So Will, in the language of your peers, you are awesome!

No comments: