Tuesday, July 06, 2010

2010 Peachtree Recap

Drove down and parked at 5th and Penn, a little behind schedule. Just missed a Doraville train, and the Dunwoody train took so long that we stayed on it. I had never gotten off at the Buckhead Station before, but it worked out OK. Lee got off at the Lenox Station and bought a number for twenty bucks.

Spent a long time with Will, standing in line for the porta-potty. At the end of the national anthem there was an unexpected low flyover by a Hercules cargo plane. Then battled a huge last-minute crowd getting to our time groups.

Ran the entire first mile, taking about 9:45. The rest of the way I took walking breaks, making sure to run past the Second-Ponce cheering section. Saw the Wisenbakers, Mrs. Light and her eldest daughter, Robin Condra, Holly Mullen and her parents, and Mary Hubert. The Whitakers were on a cruise.

I had grabbed some sort of pet handkerchief along the second mile, and I tried to give it to a little boy during the third mile. It surprised the timid tyke, and it dropped to the ground. Those around him were delighted. After I crossed Peachtree Creek the Willies people threw a T-shirt right as I passed. It was thrown to the middle of the street, but I reached up high and intercepted it, knowing Ceil loves Willies. Will grabbed a Coast Guard tee, calling out “medium!” to get the correct size.

Passing certain points along the way always brings back certain memories:

1…just after the start I took in the Stratford Road sign, where as a boy would visit my grandmother.

1…crossing Piedmont Road reminds me of all the times I parked there before the race.

1…the Peachtree Methodist congregation had a sign memorializing the two old ladies (sisters) who always dressed patriotically and sat next to the road, cheering the runners.

2…at the first water station I usually look for Mr. Hooper, who volunteered there for many years.

2…later I glance to the right, to see if 104.7 the Fish is giving away bumper stickers, which later litter the street. Never figured that one out.

2…Moes always throws a festive party, with a band, T-shirts, and rubber bracelets.

2…in Buckhead I always think of Greg Wheat, who used to live in a condo on the right.

2…saw the St. Philips priest, tossing out Holy Water.

3…this year I forgot to think about Elton John, who I’ve never seen watch the race.

3…I made a point to look up at my grandmother’s old high-rise condo, at the Lindbergh corner.

3…across the street is the mansion made famous by the “Peachtree Road” novel.

3…this year I forgot to look for friend Paul McNeil, who often stands near the church next to Burger King.

3…Said hello to ex-senator Max Cleland, who always sits near Peachtree Battle. Dennis said he shook his hand.

4…Always think of Patrick Lloyd as a pass his old condo, next to Bennihanas.

4…Passing Piedmont Hospital, I always look for Dr. Bill, who grew up at SPdL.

4…across the street, the “new” Chickfila has become a Peachtree player, with cows, music, and giveaways. For a while, the Chickfila music drowns out the band playing just south.

4…I take time to look right, at restaurants I forget have been built. Next to Teds is a new Mexican Place. The old Wendy’s we used to frequent in college has been replaced by a high-rise.

4…when I pass Hueys, I think of my old Macon friend Craig James, one of the original owners.

4…at the mile four marker, I think of my old neighbor Watson, who would watch the race from the grassy hill.

5…passing the Scottish Rite temple, I think of my grandfather. The library inside is named for him.

5…the same guy plays the trombone on the I-85 bridge every year. In recent years he has been joined by a drummer.

5…I think of the Taylors as I pass SCAD. They used to sit on the grass to cheer their daughters.

5…There are old ladies watching in front of Peachtree Christian Church, where the bells are ringing. Thirty-three years ago I visited there just once. As I left, a lady fell in front of me, breaking her arm. After helping out, I quietly slipped out a side door. I wonder if she had a huge reward she couldn’t give me.

5…the Beatles tunes from the band in front of WSB are great to run to.

5…Harriet used to cheer me from the BP station, just up from WSB.

5…near the High Museum I always think about the boy I coached in 1980. His parents always watched the race there.

6…I always enjoy the Jimmy Buffet-like band that plays across from Colony Square.

6…the stretch from Colony Square to 10th Street used to be hot and sunny. The new high-rises now provide cool shade. A sign tells me there is a museum in the new Federal Reserve Building, something I didn’t know.

At the triumphant turn onto Tenth the crowd grows larger. The many walkers start running again as they pass under the bridge of photographers, and then on the homeward stretch of the race. I look for co-worker Paul, who lives at the finish line. Surely he went home from to Minnesota.

Since I finished relatively early, the park isn’t as crowded. I chat with Preston Smith, who I taught in Sunday School long ago. Now he’s running for Lt. Governor. Will waits for me in the sun, next to the stage. We grab some PowerAde and walk around Grady High to our car. Saw Robert Bell, whom I call Richard.

We jump on the downtown connector and pass under Peachtree, seeing runners still passing. Drove up 400 to North Point, arriving as the 9 am service lets out. Will is too tired to stay, so we head home, where everyone but Matthew took naps.

No comments: