Thursday, July 08, 2010

Braves Day

I’m talking up tomorrow’s “Braves Day” here at work, especially because I’m planning on wearing this weird blue dress shirt, with the script “Braves” stitched across the front, and a large “44” on the back. White long sleeves, with the feathers down near the cuffs. One person wins a Braves jersey. Talking to Debbie, who recently celebrated her 35th anniversary with the company, reminded me that we traded Braves caps back in 1991. We both still have the caps. She said that back in the 80’s she used to sit across from Pearl Sandow.

Another good Braves win Wednesday night. Nice to beat up on Moyer for a change. The Phillies bullpen looks soft. Interesting that Infante has been playing every day this week. Good that all the outfielders have been getting lots of playing time with Heyward out…Hinske, Melky, Blanco, Diaz, and Omar. Also good to see Glaus score from first on McCann’s double. Good, I guess, since Glaus had to get a cortisone shot. He started a nice 3-6-3 double play.

Keep hearing Escobar trade rumors. Guess the Marlins wouldn’t swap shortstops, though the Braves usually don’t trade FOR problem players.

We haven’t been doing much at night this week and last week. Ceil is painting the upstairs bathroom, and Anna is reading James Patterson. I’ve been watching most all of the Braves games. Last night Matthew and I were looking at shoes on the internet together. We seem to have similar tastes.

Last night I relayed the trivia question to Facebook, since I had some Satchel Paige postings this week. Johnny Pierce, the guy I’ve seen at three Braves games, recognized the comment, so we chatted about the game and baseball. I mentioned that I wasn’t crazy about Smoltz’s announcing, and he doesn’t like Roberts. I like Roberts, Sutton, and Joe. Hear Mazzone say he thinks Sutton is sounding more like Scully?

At every Braves BP I attend, I see the same guy, who has one of those suction cup things to pull up balls. He often gives the balls away, and I’ve spoken to him several times. Saw him at the Peachtree Road Race.

With EZGo shut down from June 25 to July 19, I’m really getting caught up. My desk is almost all clean, but I do have several more small projects to keep me busy next week.

I had lunch in Buckhead Thursday, at the Waffle House at Piedmont & Pharr Road. Usually I only sneak off to lunch with Lang’s dad when my boss is out of town, since it takes two hours to drive down to Buckhead and eat. But since it’s so quiet, I took the chance go to catch up with him.

Judy Watts just died from cancer. She was about my age. Her children were at least in college, I think. Back before they were married, her husband Ron roomed for a while with my friend David Hurt.

Catherine Norman was at the Hurt birthday party last Friday night, and hung out with the adults. Her year teaching inner city 4th graders was at times harrowing. She made a two year commitment, so she returns to Memphis soon to teach first grade, fortunately with a young man she gets along with well.

My sister posted pictures from Monday’s birthday dinner on Facebook last night. We’re not the best looking family, and some of the pictures just weren’t good. Still, several people at work today commented favorably about them.

No comments: