Saturday, November 25, 2017

Three Thanksgivings

Wednesday Ceil cooked Thanksgiving dinner for the six of us. Very good. Turkey, dressing, gravy, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, apple pie, homemade rolls. Other stuff. I did lots of dishes and had a sure back after being on my feet all day. Before dinner I helped as Will changed out a light on Anna's Jeep (below). The day before W had changed the oil in his Camry. Wed am Will had run 5 miles and then played 18 holes of golf.
After dessert the kids played a game. I collapsed on the couch and was the first to go to bed.

C had also cooked homemade sweet rolls for Thursday am breakfast. I did more dishes. C, Barney, and I left for Macon (above), and Anna and MC and Will followed about 30 minutes later. At the last minute I loaded a lot of leftovers into the car. Picked up Thanksgiving dinner at Cracker Barrell: the turkey and ham and biscuits were pretty good. Dressing wasn't good at all. Sweet potato casserole was just ok, as were the collard greens. The baked apples got eaten up. Mac and cheese was good. The kale salad was good too. Pumpkin pie for dinner. My brother was working in Orlando, so there were only ten of us for dinner.

I got a little praise from Ceil and my mom for arranging the dinner, but my sister was the real hero: picking up her father in law, helping my mom get ready, getting the table set, and fixing the mashed potatoes and green beans.
Missed all the football games. Some year I'll get to see Dallas and Detroit on Thanksgiving Day. Later W&MC headed back to Atlanta. Around six Ceil, Anna, Barney and I drove to South Carolina, arriving in Jefferson after 10:30. Even with the Diet Mtn Dew I drank to keep me awake, I slept well.

Friday morning C headed to the grocery store. I helped her get ready for the big lunch, taking out the trash, getting the ice, watching Rusty cook the turkey, deleting emails, etc. Had 19 people for lunch: C's mom, brother Rusty, Kelly, Ben, Katherine, Jordan, Uncle Lennie and Aunt Corrine, Teresa, Beau, Vic, Dic Dac, Debbie, Chase, Grant, Daddy D, Ceil, Anna, and me. Turkey, dressing, gravy, salad, salsa, dip, tomatoes, fruit salad, a pumpkin dish, mac and cheese, pecan pie, butter cream pie, cookies, and more.

Plenty of football: Miami lost. Exciting UCF/South Florida game, and now VA/VT. Just hanging out deleting email and playing on the laptop. Saturday morning after the first ten minutes of ESPN College GameDay, Auburn and Alabama's helmets were switched (below). Perhaps the higher ranked team goes on the left.
Last Wednesday I was talking to coworker Dennis who was headed to NOLA today for a cruise debarking on Sunday. He is ex-Army, so I asked if he was going to the museum. His face lit up and said he wanted to, but didn't know if he could talk his wife info it.
Good shot of last Monday's Georgia Dome implosion, with Stone Mountain looming in the distance.

No comments: