Thursday, November 02, 2017

Mid-Week Athens Trip

Monday: worked till 6:20. C cooked black beans and rice. Watched The Voice with C, then she went to bed. M came out and watched The Good Doctor.

At one point late Tuesday night I took Barney outside. He wound up walking all the way up to the mailbox, then back through the front yard toward the front door. M was in his room with the light on, and his cat was looking out the window at us. Barney saw the cat and stared at him. When he was about to bark I led him back to the garage. He wanted to get that cat.


Wednesday: worked past six, then drove to Athens. We’d forgotten to send something to Anna, so I delivered it personally. Took a different route to avoid traffic, which worked ok. Josh was playing in the coed ultimate frisbee championship game, so I drove straight to the fields. A team of large coeds were practicing for a flag football game, hitting a dummy hard. Josh’s team was missing a key player or two, and lost to a team they’d previously beaten twice before. An opponent made a great diving touchdown catch to win the game. Afterwards the two teams circled together to pray. Guess I should’ve stepped in since Louie wasn’t there. I was wearing all black, so that's something..

Anna had already eaten so we went to the Varsity. Place was nearly empty, but it was 8:45. So many other places were further away, and at that hour I didn’t want to wait for my food. Anna got a frosted orange and I got fries and a hot dog. Later Josh came by, and we all had a nice chat. Drove Anna back to her house to drop her off. Someone was having a meeting there – there were at least 15 cars there. A new item: sweet potato fried pies.
The Astros were already up 5-0. When I neared Atlanta I listened to some on the radio. Got home at 10:45 and watched the last three innings while playing on my computer. Went to bed at midnight. Put 200 miles on the car:

33 home to airport
41 airport to work
52 work to Athens
73 Athens to home
199 miles total

I didn’t mind the trip to Athens last night because (a) I got to spend time with Anna and (b) I got to listen to my book on CD. Driving alone I can daydream or brainstorm or “read” as well as look at the scenery and check out other cars. When C and I go on a road trip C usually sleeps or reads, so again I can daydream and stuff. Saturday we may ride to Augusta with our friends. This will be fun, but I’ll miss the time I’d usually have “to myself.” I’d by cleaning out my junk emails and keeping tabs on the football games on my phone. 

Anna has a friend at UGA whose dad is the Astros hitting coach, so she’s gotten to go to all the World Series games. Same with my friend who knows the daughter of the Astros first base coach.

Got my 2018 calendar yesterday, so I’m set for next year. My 2017 calendar scrapbook is almost all filled in. Just a few pages to go.

On September 3. 1979 Sports Illustrated ran a story predicting what football would be like 30 years later. They weren’t far off on some of them:

1 Better artificial turf.
2. Some form of legal betting
3. Rosters will grow, but the schedule won’t.
4. No mistakes on draft choices (wrong).
5. Quarterbacks throwing 135 yards on a line.
6. Mechanized power packs (QB’s helmets have a radio speaker).
7. Women players (in high school and college).
8. Robot-like supermen wearing booster shoes and suction-cup gloves. Yes and yes.
9. Bigger players will be able to move even faster and hit even harder wearing lighter, more pliable padding. At the same time there is the potential for even greater damage to limb if not life.

Hard to explain what an Apple TV is. It lets you view and watch things on your TV that otherwise you’d have to watch on your computer. There are other similar products made by other companies than Apple. Without it the only shows you can watch on your TV are the ones provided by your cable company. With Apple TV you can watch any show from any network, as well as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon, etc. I use it to watch Sports Jeopardy, Comedians in Cars Drinking Coffee, and reruns of the Tonight Show. Ceil watches shows off Amazon Prime.

My old boss Steve Apollo had an old dog. Steve ate cold pressed flax seed oil with yogurt or cottage cheese every day because his family had a history of cancer. When the vet told Steve his dog only had a few months to live, he started adding the flax oil to the ice cream he’d give his dog every day. His dog became healthier and lived a lot longer than expected – well over a year.

Georgia State beat Tech this past weekend in basketball.

When I first got to GT I lived with my aunt in Sandy Springs. Early that fall on weekends I would hang out with the three GT freshmen who’s gone to my high school. This was September 1977.

I tried out Peachtree Christian Church at the corner of Peachtree and Spring. But it wasn’t for me. After a service an old lady fell and hurt her arm. I stayed with her until help came, then slipped out the door, never to return.  

I wound up attending Wieuca Road Baptist with my best friend from high school, and other GT BSU students. Attended Wieuca until late April. By then I’d become good friends with fellow students who were attending SPdL: Yearwood, Fred O, Wayne Smith, Wayne Price, etc.

No comments: