Thursday, November 09, 2017

The Early Bird

I rarely set my alarm. When I do I use the alarm on my phone. I have yet to change the phone on my side of the bed back to standard time. Makes it a challenge to look at the clock and recognize that I have to make a calculation in my head. This morning it bit me.

My phone was on the other side of the room, hooked up to the charger. I had woken up but knew it wasn’t yet time to get out of bed. I went back to sleep and had this detailed dream about work. I was moving into this huge office. It was old and not very nice, but it was big. It even had a closet. The old desk and closet had lots of old stuff in it: some cool and some junk. I was trying to move in, but there were people hanging around talking about work things. The Ogre was there. He thought the office was nice. He was making sure I didn’t throw out anything. Jonathan was there talking about work things, as usual. He wanted me to go to Charleston with him on Monday, return on Wednesday, go back on Thursday, and come back Friday. Made no sense, but that’s the way Jonathan rolls. Finally I said no.

Usually I’m out of bed before six. If not I’m “late” – arriving at my office well after 7 am. I woke up and my clock said 6:14. Ceil was already up. Usually she stays in bed until after I shower and dress and head downstairs.. I hopped out of bed and rushed through my usual routine. C was getting dressed and wanted me to take out the dog, but I was running late. Grabbed lunch, hopped in the car, and drove off.

As usual, I listened to my book on CD. I’m near the end of a book, and things are building up to a climax. At one point I do remember thinking traffic was light, but thought nothing of it. My commute is 19 miles of surface streets, but really only two red lights can be long: Azealia & Roswell at the river, and the left from Jimmy Carter onto Peachtree Industrial. I made it through both lights relatively quickly, so I didn’t have time to check my phone.

Now I was on the home stretch, headed north up PIB to the office. I passed the old Mizuno building, and I checked the flashing time and temperature sign. It read 6:03. That’s odd, I hadn’t realized the time on the sign hadn’t changed from Daylight Savings Time. Then I looked at the clock in my car. 6:08. I had just corrected the time on that clock yesterday (adding my usual five minutes). My phone confirmed it: I was running an hour early.

Oh well, there’s always something to do.

Last night I worked until six. Had a focus group at seven. Made it to the Perimeter Mall area by 6:30. Checked in. A lady was going around asking preliminary questions. I heard what she was asking, but when she got to me she didn’t ask as many questions. The room filled with people, and around 7:05 they were ready to start. They called off names and took all but four people, including me. Three of the four (including me) were the oldest of the group. More people had showed up than was needed, so we were paid and we got to go home early.

We had to wait for our checks to be readied, so it was after 7:30 when we left. Too late to drive to Cumming for the Hot Stove Meeting. I hit two thrift stores and the library on the way home.

Thinking about postseason awards:

ACC coach of the year: Miami’s Mark Richt is the obvious choice. Dabo lost to Syracuse.

ACC player of the year: Not Clemson’s Kelly Bryant. No one Clemson player has broken away from the pack. Not the Miami QB> Maybe the Miami receiver, number 8. Or GT QB TaQuon Marshall.

ACC freshman of the year: my vote goes to GT punter Pressley Harvin III.

SEC coach of the year: UGA’s Kirby Smart is the obvious choice. Saban is deserving every year.

SEC player of the year: Could go to one of several players. Like Clemson, there’s no one UGA player who has broken away from the pack. Perhaps Bama QB Jalen Hurts. Longshot: Miss State QB Nick Fitzgerald. Would be hard for Chubb and Michel to be voted in as a duo.

SEC freshman of the year: UGA’s Jake Fromm.

No comments: