Friday, February 08, 2019

Fans These Days

Tough when teams like the Grizzlies have to move beloved players. Now my Marc Gasol action figure is out of date. The Pelicans are in a tough spot as well. The rich get richer. The players don’t care, they want to get paid and win now. Used to be a star player would toil for a second rate team, getting more allocates for lifting a bad team up. Now they want to join up with a winning team so they can win a ring as well.
 
The Hawks have a good young nucleus but can they become a top tier team before they players reach free agency? They’ll want to leave, then the whole rebuild starts over. The ideal is to be a place where other players want to come. You’d think the good old ATL would be one of those places.
 
Fair weathered fans are down on the Braves. The Marlins wanted four Braves prospects for their 28 year old all-star catcher, who will be a free agent in two years. The Braves said no. Then the Marlins traded the catcher to the rival Phillies for only two prospects, so the fans are mad the Braves didn’t trade four prospects for him. What were the Braves to do? Fans these days are going to complain no matter what. I’d like to see what decisions they’d make it they had the job. The Braves are trying to set up their team to win long term, and not just this year. Yes at some point they have to go all in and get players to win now. Is that now? Fans are worried they haven’t made enough moves, but last year a quarter of the opening day roster was added after Valentine’s Day. People aren’t patient any more.
 
Same with the bobblehead community. Minor league team struggle to draw fans, and struggle to pay their bills and not lose money. They give away bobbles to draw fans, not to make collectors happy. They’re complaining about something they’re getting for free. I’ve about had it with all the complainers.
 
 
Anniversary speech for a coworker (not delivered): Margo first started out working over at the old RMP office. Not sure but Frances Moon and I may be the only two still remaining from that office when Margo started. Sometimes when some crazy stuff would be going on all around, Margo would be at her post, probably quietly chuckling to herself at what fools the rest of us were. I doubt I’m going out on a limb to say she probably does the same thing nowadays since she’s surrounded by all you guys.
 
Well I’ve waited all these years but now here with everyone gathered around I’m gonna spill the dirt on Margo. Sometimes I will tell people that I used to work for Steve Apostel. They will look at me funny or get real suspicious of me. Well hey nobody remembers that Steve Apostle hired Margo too. She just doesn’t make a big deal about it. That’s why everyone thinks so highly of her. Happy anniversary Margo!
 
 
Thursday: crazy day. Woke up late. Got out on the roads but a wreck had two lanes blocked on 400 south. I don’t get on 400 but traffic in Roswell was jammed with people trying to get to Roswell Road. Once I passed under 400 at the river I got stuck in people trying to get to Spaulding and Peachtree Industrial. Didn’t get to work until 8:15, an hour later than usual.
 
On the way to work I was trying to send some voice texts and emails, to others and myself with notes to remember. Got to work and no emails. Realized something had changed, and my work emails weren’t going to my phone. Now I gotta figure that out. Then at work with Rodney and Brad and Jonathan all traveling things were heating up, even after yesterday with just Rachel and Angie helping. Super crazy all morning.
 
Friday: dang I was doing good, working all morning at my stand up desk. Then my back started hurting, so I had to sat down. Ugh. Might’ve been heartburn. Felt better after ten minutes. Supposed to clean out gutters tomorrow.

There are movies I can watch over and over. Pick them up in the middle and watch what I can. Same with TV shows like Seinfeld and MASH. There are several Jurassic Park movies but the first one is best. A few weeks ago I saw parts of Jurassic World for the first time. Looked better than other sequels. Was amazed to learn the leading lady wearing the white dress is Ron “Opie” Howard’s daughter.   
 
On Sunday morning Karen posted on social media that she was at Passion City Church. It didn’t surprise me because I knew Tim Tebow was speaking. Karen said they arrived 45 minutes early but still had to sit in the overflow (not sure if they arrived inside the church 45 minutes early or just arrived at the parking lot 45 minutes early – big difference). Anyway someone asked if she had changed churches and Karen said yes. She was asked why (and Margaret Condra asked what was the attraction) and Karen responded. I hadn’t realized they had changed churches. I think daughter Lila is living in Sandy Springs, but could be wrong. Lila is a big Atlanta United soccer fan.

No comments: