Monday, May 02, 2022

South River Gun Range

Had a fun day Friday south of Conyers at the vendor’s trap shooting event. After an opening prayer, the day started with a literal shotgun start.

I hit two of my first four targets. CEO Dee (shorts) and her husband Rodney (red cap) both hit 90 of 100 targets, tying for third place.

Good BBQ from a food truck. Also macaroni & cheese, baked beans, and other snacks and drinks. 

A beautiful day, though being out in the sun all day was draining.

From there I drove to Oxford for another vendor open house, where a former coworker is employed. Ate some BBQ there as well. Then the long drive home through mounting rush hour traffic. Took a quick nap when I got home.

Ceil fixed one of her homemade pizzas. I ate less than usual.

Then over to the Chiles for Secret Church. David Platt’s topic was “Who Am I?”, biblically addressing various topics in the world today like social media, pregnancy, relationships, etc, Also in attendance were my other friend Reid, the Ragans, another David, and Jennifer. Stayed with it until 11:30 pm before heading home.

Up early Saturday to play golf. I played well, starting off bogey birdie par bogey. Hit better than usual off the tee and in the fairway. On the par 3 second hole my tee shot stopped five feet from the hole. On the way home I stopped off for a haircut. Then lots of housework and laundry. Later I cut the grass, including way back in the woods, which always wears me out. All the dust made me sick.

Picked up Domino’s for supper. Part of a focus group project I was working on. M and C ate some as well.

By the time we were through with supper I was sneezing so much that I went to bed. Slept past 10 am Sunday morning, then napped more Sunday afternoon. I sneezed so much that now my body is still sore. Hurts when I cough.

My fault the Grizzlies lost. I watched the whole game. Folded laundry while watching. Ceil was yelling at the TV again. Seemed to me like the announcers were pulling for Golden State. Then at halftime Stephen A Smith went on a tirade about Draymond getting tossed. Looked legit to me. Yes Ja will be able to increase his scoring average when he works on his foul shots.

M cooked a Southern supper: collards with ham, beans with onions, fried okra, and chopped bacon garnish. Very good. After supper I pulled out my laptop for the first time since Thursday.

This morning I was still sore from the weekend. Got up and got ready for the gym, but while I was tying my sneakers I felt a tug in back. Decided to take it easy, especially since I’m going to play golf tomorrow morning.

Did you see in the Braves game how Ozzie Albies got on Marcel Ozuna for not taking a bigger secondary lead? Ozzie is taking a leadership role, especially with the Latin players. Good deal.

Guess you heard that Scott Acheson’s mother passed away. Service at SPdL on Friday.

Early voting has opening in Cobb for the May 24 election. Big election on whether to make East Cobb a city. I vote no. Things are good already. The bigwigs say it’s necessary to keep out apartments and condos. Hearing rumors that real estate developers are trying to gain access to cheap pristine land to develop, which would increase congestion. They say taxes wouldn’t increase, but that is an outright lie. Sandy Springs voted to become a city, and they built that zillion dollar town center at the top of the hill. No thanks.

Also gotta cast my vote for Suzi Voyles for the US Congress. And Herschel for the US Senate.

ANDRES GALARRAGA  [SABR Bio] was the first player to collect 150 RBI the season he also struck out 150 times. In 1996 for the Rockies, he struck out exactly 150 times with exactly 150 RBI. Sammy Sosa later exceeded these totals twice. Galarraga played for TEX in 2001. Al Kaline and Galarraga both finished their career with 399 HR. The Big Cat missed all of the 1999 season in the middle of his career to fight cancer. He missed part of the 2004 season as well, his final year in the Bigs. He belongs to a special “club” whose only other members are Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez, Reggie Jackson, Jim Thome and Adam Dunn: comprised of players with 2,000 career MLB KsGalarraga is barely over the line with 2,003.

Players twice voted Comeback Player of the Year.

Player          Came back   WAR

Carpenter.......2004, 2009...34.2

Cash...............1965, 1971..52.0

Galarraga.......1993, 2000...31.7

Posey.............2012, 2021...44.9

Powell............1966, 1975...39.1

Saberhagen...1987, 1998...58.9

Sutcliffe..........1987, 1992...33.9

Critical thinking isn’t about being critical, it’s about asking better questions, in a nonconfrontational manner.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://hbr.org/2022/04/critical-thinking-is-about-asking-better-questions?utm_source=GetTheElevatordotcom__;!!AE29DT8V!Rl5TYoTRjjWAKE4IEsZFMfykf3xgTKkcKzYJfloE0QsdS9yq8d11dk3UCF-mdJ7ioRrd409TR6HY1ooEXqU$

Former Brave Tom House (right) later coached up Nolan Ryan and more recently Tom Brady (above). House also appeared on Hogan's Heroes.  

No comments: