Saturday, May 14, 2022

Swagger Over Results?

 

Some fool website ranked Stetson as the 35th best college QB. Bama QB wasn’t number one. Wake Forest QB Sam Hartman was ranked high. Fools. Just wanted to get a reaction. They did. Stetson finished last year ranked #3 in that nation statistically. The website said due to the UGA defense. Inexplicable. Young men today are infatuated with talent and swagger, which more often than not does not translate into results. The world we live in. Style over substance.

Same site ranked UGA uniforms poorly. Also Southern Cal. Bama wasn’t in the top 50. Oregon was first. Fools.

Wednesday: the Grizzlies won because I didn’t watch. I stayed up too late last night but didn’t turn it over to the game. Saw updates from Lang. Watched a little Friday night but needed to get up early.

Made it to the course and hit my tee shots at 6:35 am. Robert joined me, and we played together for the first time since March, going out ahead of Mr. Chee. Robert wanted to play quick so he could tee off on one for his second nine before 8 am, so no mulligans. 

1. Was amazed at my distance off the senior tee. Furthest ever. Flubbed my 6 iron short of the green but “chipped” up onto the surface. Two putt for bogey.  

2 Got under my 3 wood and popped it up. Way short. Two poor chips, then a descent that bounced left from the fringe. Chipped over the green, so I called it a hole.

3 is the hole I used to do good on, but am currently freaked out by the tee shot, a simle chipped 6 iron down the hill. My ball rolled right. Could’ve scalded a 5 iron between the oak and fence, but instead chipped left of the oak, back onto the fairway. Then a decent chip that didn’t quite stay on the fringe – instead rolling down into the gulch. Made several attempts at chipping onto the green, before giving up again.

4. I had left my bag near the oak, so I teed off with my pitching wedge. Hit it well buy left. It bounced into the woods. Decent chip and poor three putt.

5. We both hit our tee shots right, Robert’s out on the street. I made a good chip that rolled across the green to the far fringe, and two putted for bogey. Nice.

6. From the white tee I hit my driver right to the bush, a decent effort. My 5 iron from the rough got a good roll down the hill to the middle of the fairway. Chipped my 7 iron onto the green, and two putted for bogey. Two straight good holes.

7. Hit driver low, but another good roll all the way up under the fifth tree – my best tee shot ever on that hole. But I flubbed my 5 iron – it actually rolled a few feet backwards down the hill. But out in the fairway. That allowed my to hit hybrid for the first time all day. It hit it well, but it stayed left into the woods. Decent pitch to the fringe, then made several bad putts. Picked up.

8. Hit my driver low and left. Should’ve teed it up a little higher. Decent distance but it didn’t roll down the hill back to the middle of the fairway. Was concerned that I would top my hybrid approach since the ball was below my feet, but since my shot was downhill, the ball took off. Then I feared I’d hit it too well, but found it on the fringe. Shot of the day? Two putt  - wait for it – for par.

9. Decided to stick with my hybrid. Good call, but didn’t tee it up high enough. Worm burner. Approach shot went left, something I’m still not used to. Chipped good but short. Second chip not as good, off to the right. Long three putt. Triple.

Finished just before 8 am. There was a threesome on the first tee for Robert to join, so I called it a day. I’m playing better, but think I can improve more. Putting through the dew is always a challenge, but I could save at least one shot a hole by practicing chipping.

In the golf tourney in Birmingham Dale Murphy played with John Daly, Charles Barkley, and American Idol Taylor Hicks. Kirby Smart played with Mark OMeara. 

BOBBY THOMSON  [SABR Bio] his spot in the lineup was taken by Henry Aaron. In 1954 Thomson broke his ankle in spring training.  Aaron broke in and played 122 games, all but eleven in left field. Thomson led the majors in triples in 1952, the last year the original eight NL teams were in their original home cities. Thomson hit 14 triples, the only time he led the league in any category. The next year the Braves left Boston for Milwaukee.  BSN became MLN. While at Curtis High School on Staten Island, Thomson played for a local amateur team called the Dodger Rookies. Both the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants offered him a contract, but he grew up a Giants fan. Thomson’s very name still causes discomfort in Dodger fans.

No comments: