Thursday, June 16, 2022

Family Dinner

Had a fun evening over at W&MC’s last night. Got to play with little Miss Shivonne before she retired for the night. Will had smoked a delicious pork loin, which we ate over rice and greens and sauces. Forgot to take a picture. Matthew rode with me and C, and Anna and Caleb met us there. Below: sorry I cut out the big guy, but I didn't want to work long to get everyone in the picture.

The sun had set and afterward the temps had cooled, and we sat out on the back deck, trying to think of old legendary Murphy family stories, like the time Will tossed young Matthew’s beloved piece of whiskey wax into the fire. I shared about Ceil’s Camp SPdL spit take all over John Flack, and how I’d forced Anna to run the Peachtree Junior all by herself, and to appear on 104.7 the Fish radio as the Weather Kid of the Day, even though she didn’t want to. Later she cracked the CD of the experience. Of young Matthew’s bad haircut just before our San Francisco trip.

We were almost home, around 10:30 pm, on Upper Roswell Road when a cop pulled me over for a burned out license plate light bulb. I’d left my wallet at home, but had an old expired driver’s license in my car. He let me go with a warning, then sped off to pull over another car with a similar infraction. That’s why I usually don’t stay out that late.

A new low weight this morning, breaking a barrier I hadn’t been able to break for over a month. Might’ve weighed even less yesterday morning but I didn’t get on the scales.

Up early to lift weights at the gym. Got the new tire put on Ceil’s car today during lunch. One less thing to do tomorrow. 

When I work from home, I take my work phone calls outside, where the reception is better. This week I’ve been pulling ivy off the trees while on the phone. This afternoon I got stung on the leg by a yellowjacket.

A secret: I think that when I work from home, Ceil gets more done around the house. Don't say anything. Maybe I’ll work more from home. Not going back until next Tuesday at the earliest.

For lunch yesterday and today I made small tacos. Lots of small tacos.

Not really a big deal, but I had forwarded the recent Hawks uniform article to Uni Watch, and Paul credited me in his column. Yes, I could embed the link real cool like, but I already spend too much time trying to purdy this thing up – hence all the clunky links.

https://uni-watch.com/2022/06/13/shazam-cubs-rookie-adds-mysterious-lightning-bolt-to-helmet/

Only Murders in the Building: more info on the upcoming season two. Matthew recently re-watched season one. Perhaps I'll do the same next weekend.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://deadline.com/2022/06/only-murders-in-the-building-pilot-script-true-crime-steve-martin-john-hoffman-it-starts-on-the-page-1235044039/__;!!AE29DT8V!TKj6NkrlEOhBOON1yYPojXakY0cd1mCQtDA_fl457Oi3OB1UnFj17WTq9tAp50VGkkN-4V_zPBDz7kZJTno$ 

When I walked in the gym this morning wearing my politically incorrect tomahawk t-shirt, the big guy coming out exclaimed "14!"

JERRY KOOSMAN  [SABR Bio] led his team with twenty plus wins one season only to lead the majors in losses the following year. Led NYM in 1976 with 21 wins. In 1978, led MLB with 20 losses. He then won twenty again two years after that. In 1979, Koosman led MIN with 20 wins. He surrendered a milestone hit, one achieved ever by only three batters. On 13-Apr-1984, precisely 21 years after his 1st MLB H (a triple off Pittburgh’s Bob Friend), Pete Rose doubled of Koosman for his 4,000th hit, joining Ty Cobb in the 4,000-hit club. Rose would add another 256 over his final three seasons. Years later Ichiro would collect his 4000th professional hit as well, and eventually pass Cobb and Rose.

Know anyone like this?

No comments: