Monday, October 31, 2005

September golf

I traveled up to Greenville SC on September 12th and thirteenth. Left the office around 2:30…perfect timing to drive back across the Georgia state line and over to Victoria Bryant State Park for a round of golf. I had received a free round of golf at a state park in the mail for my birthday, but they’re all far away, and the opportune moments to use it are rare. But that Tuesday there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. The course is near Royston, in the north Georgia hills, away from the roar of highway traffic. The leaves were starting to turn, and the occasional eagle or hawk would take flight.

A group of five was teeing of on one, so I was directed to go off on the back side. Ten was a downhill par three, a nice hole to start. The only good shot I made was a chip shot, from off the green, that ran not far from the hole. Eleven was a dogleg right par far, and I hit two tee shots…both good shots for me, both in good position in the fairway. With absolutely no one around, I often took a second shot, eventually figuring out if my first shot was decent, I was better off keeping ball number two in my pocket. There was a long carry off the twelfth tee over a valley of rough. My tee shot carried the valley, and I reached the green by hitting two more good shots. A two putt for bogey was fine with me, as was another bogey on thirteen, another par four. Though my tee shot wasn’t the greatest, my next two shots got me to the green.

My tee shot on the par three fourteenth landed on the green, and I two-putted for par. Next up was a par five, where I hit a decent drive and two more good fairway shots, putting me on the fringe. Another two-putt gave me two pars in a row, and I was sky high. The par three sixteenth brought me back to earth, as I hit several shots into the lake. A good tee shot on seventeen helped me par the hole, even though it took two more short fairway shots to reach the green. The putt for par was long and uphill, but straight, and I sank it for perhaps my best putt of the day. On eighteen my tee shot barely carried the water, and I continued to hit bad shot after bad shot all the way to the green. Though I had often played two balls, I was still quite happy with a 46, as long as the course played.

On the first hole my tee shot went right, as usual. I relaxed and hit my second shot over the green, and pitched back and made the up-and-down for par. My tee shot on two was short, but my next shot was long and straight. I reached the green with a third shot, again happy to two-putt for bogey. The sun was bad in my eyes teeing off on three, but my shot carried the rough. I still had a long way to go, and even though my two fairway shots reached the green, I still double-bogeyed the hole. Hole four was a par five, and I hit a pretty good drive, to the right side of the fairway as usual. My second shot crossed back to the left side, putting several tall trees between me and the green. I relaxed and hit a nice approach to the fringe. I just missed the birdie putt, but was quite happy with the par.

There were two golfers in the fairway on the fifth hole. I was in no hurry, but they signaled me to play through. Hurried, my tee shot on the dogleg right sailed further right, but I was able to pitch it through the trees, toward the hole. With them behind me I pressed, not hitting good shots finishing that hole or the next, an uphill par three. The par four seventh hole was unbelievingly straight and narrow, almost spooking me. The sun was setting, and I quickened my pace. Tired from all the shots I had taken, I continued to hit poor shots, but it was still fun. Strangely, while on the eighth fairway, the two players passed by in their cart, saying they were calling it a day. There was still plenty of light to finish, but I was worn out. My back nine score was 51, for a 97 total.

Not bad at all, but I still have a long way to go before I can actually break a hundred. But it was a glorious day to be outside with a club in my hands.

No comments: