Friday, March 17, 2006

Matthew's Practice

Forgot to wear green today. I usually try and participate in St. Patrick’s Day, and at least wear green, but I won’t feel too bad about it. Perhaps tonight I’ll break out my Phillies # 20 green trimmed jersey.

Guess Team USA won’t get to wear their green uni set.

Something Matthew did yesterday at practice: They were on a tiny practice field, pretty much just an infield, working on throwing the ball home to tag out the runner, or run him back to third. This is important because this is the first time players can’t just call time out and expect the runners to stop…base coaches can continue sending runners home. The drill had the ball tossed to the outfield fence. The outfielders ran it down and threw home, with a runner starting at first base. Unless the throw was strong and the catcher caught the ball, most fast runners were scoring the run. About half the runners were scoring.

Matthew has been running faster lately, but the catcher made a nice play and tagged Matthew out. When this happened, Matthew shouted ‘Darn it!’ Not a good thing for a seven-year old in a church league, and I tried to contain my laughter.

No comments: