Monday, March 13, 2006

weekend update

I thought that I would spend several hours today away from my desk, but it looks like that'll be tomorrow.

Weekend…Friday night Ceil, Matthew, and I ate Mexican in Roswell and went to North Point Mall. Couldn’t get her to try Chipotle. Ceil wanted to go to the Apple computer store…Ceil has her heart set on a new Mac PC. Ceil and Anna had a great time at Claire’s shower Saturday afternoon. Saturday night the kids stayed home watching movies, and Ceil and I ate at P.F. Chang, after seeing a crowd at Ted’s. Since we were near North Point, Ceil wanted to swing by the Apple store again.

Sunday we swung by Harrys on the way home from church. Saw several people we know there. Ceil took her time and got most of what she needed for the week, so I was able to read almost the entire Sunday paper. When we got home Anna and Matthew helped me wash most vehicles, and I cleaned out the inside of the van.

Last night Anna requested chocolate chip pancakes. Matthew ate three big ones, this just after he ate a six nugget kid’s meal from McDonalds. Thought his appetite was growing, but then I realized he hadn’t eaten much the rest of the day.

Caught some of the WBC game last night…it was fun to watch because so many of the players were from the MLB. The photo of Juries greeted by Brian Jordan sure looked like Pete Orr to me. But Will was just as interested with the show on the Food Network.

Finally read the AJC article on Schuerholz’s book…and the weekend reaction from Glavine. Interesting that after all these years keeping everything so close to the vest, that Schuerholz is opening up. The writer that helped him surely had something to do with it, but JS said that he was happy with the end product. Glavine says next year he only wants to pitch for either the Mets or Braves, but the way those teams operate, I doubt either team would want him. The Mets will want to sign a free agent from another team, whoever is the hot commodity. Glavine would have to have a great season for that to be him. The Braves wouldn’t sign him for big money…even if something major happened to their staff, since they should be just as overstocked with starters next year as they are now. People who write letters to the editor saying the Braves should resign Glavine don’t have a clue about the current salary structure/contract status of the staff. Atlanta can get just as much production from Davies or another youngster, for much less money.

I think these last ten years wouldn’t have been any better had the Bonds trade gone through. He might’ve been such a distraction that they would’ve let let leave through free agency when his contract expired…kinda like Justice.

Liked the uniforms the Miami Heat wore yesterday, much better than their regular uniforms. Guess they’re the alternate unis, like the Hawks’ yellow uniforms.

I was just thinking about Louie’s sermon yesterday. Didn’t take notes, but here’s what I remember. Like Andy, he’s never fire-and-brimstone, shame you into belief/better behavior, but he hit on the fallacy of the ‘I’ve been a good person’ answer. He put a “badß----à good” graph on the screen, and started by posting other people…Billy Graham, not quite all the way to good, then Andy, not quite as good as Graham. Oprah, not as good as Andy. Ken Lay…pretty bad. For Simon Cowell, Louie said that he really didn’t know him, he was just going by what he saw on TV, but he put Simon on the bad side of the middle. Then he talked about the basic ten rules, quickly hit on eight of them, and how most of us had broken all eight…much less being able to name them. Most of us were safe on the ‘do not kill’ and ‘adultery’ commandments, until Jesus came along, adding that I’m just as guilty if I think it in my heart.

Caught the end of the Andruw Jones MTV Cribs. He had showed his house last year on Turner South or Fox Sports, but he was more quiet on that previous show. I suppose that was his wife that he had credited with straightening him out to become a better ballplayer.

Matthew hit the wiffleballs well in the outfield Thursday, but didn’t put much effort in when he stepped into the box against real (soft/safety) baseballs.

On Friday I wrote: Duke is really struggling…I doubt they’ll win the ACC tourney. So much for my predictions! At least the year is over for GT. Next year should be better with the recruits coming in. Good to know that Hewitt likes the new AD.

See the SI poll…what was it, NBA players naming the best and worst coaches? Woodson got the second most votes for being the worst.

Derrick Hardeman...the name rings a bell. Both my Baskin-Robbins buddies Don Lott and Chuck Smith played trumpet, and I hung out with the band a lot. I’ll have to check my yearbook, that Will has been keeping in his room.

No comments: