Monday, March 06, 2006

sunny weekend recap

I always turn off Tech right when they have peaked for the game. They had gone on a little second half run and Clemson had to call time, So I went outside...and from there I hear it was all Clemson. Spread wood chips with Anna Saturday afternoon, the shoveling making me sore, using muscles I hadn't been using. Then our neighbor dropped in, and we set up the iMac they gave us with our internet account, with much help from my sister. We played on it a while, but it was cutting off. Our other PC just died...won't turn on.

Watched the Gary Cooper 'Sgt. York' movie...it was Will's school assignment, for some reason, then I flipped between Duke/UNC and 'the Big Break' on the golf channel. Exciting Duke game...did they peak early? Is Reddick worn out?

Louie was preaching this week and next. Ceil taught Sunday School at 8:30, so she stayed for the 10:30 service at stopped by Costco on the way home. On my way home with the kids, I didn't realize the exit that was closed was Holcomb Bridge, so I had to go all the way down to Northridge. By then I figured out we should eat lunch somewhere, so we headed back towards Roswell.

We had eaten at Matthew's Burger King Saturday, so Anna and Will picked Taco Bell. The sign said open at ten on Sunday, but the doors were locked. Saw people inside. Two cars had gone through the drive-thru, so we followed...but it was closed as well. I was not happy. We finally got some pizzas at Kroger, but when we got home, the neighbor kids were outside, so they ran off to play.

Both Saturday and Sunday afternoons we watched some of the Andy Griffith marathon. Bob Denver/Gilligan was on one episode playing a hillbilly husband. Saw some of the Tiger win at Doral.

Later that afternoon I ran some errands with Matthew and Will. Matthew readily went along to practice his batting, and asked to take some grounders. He's not scared of the ball, not backing away when Will would hit one of my pitches a little harder that he should have. He can hit when he wants to. This year the coach has to pitch from the rubber, further away, so the pitches comes in faster. That, and the cold, meaning discomfort and lack of much practice time, has put Matthew behind in his hitting. But Matthew is Matthew. Of his best three friends, only one is athletic, but is playing in the younger league this spring. The neighbor boy isn’t much for sports, either. Matthew had wanted to play baseball this spring, and loves going to Braves games. Likes being part of the team and wearing the jersey. Not too concerned with playing, or playing well. Perhaps we will give soccer a try next time. No big deal.

Late in the afternoon I cleaned the gutters in back, way up on top of the house. Then I went down to the creek and cleaned it up until dark, removing fallen branches and stuff. Drew Matthew's bath, made a quick trip to Kroger, and cooked pancakes during the Oscars. Busy weekend…I’m tired.

I don’t travel much, but the late flight helps stretch the vacation time, you don’t burn the last day at the airport.

DeAngelo Williams didn’t really impress me in that bowl game for Memphis.

Got to remember to watch Spike tonight at 10 pm…that show where the regular guy goes against the pro. Herschel and Rodman are on it.

I’ve had three trips I let expire…(1) Curacao…Ceil was pregnant with Matthew, and Will and Anna were small....(2) Fernandina Beach weekend…should’ve taken it...(3) weekend accommodations in Macon…no big loss.

I don't mind the dynasties either...Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Celtics, UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Tiger, Jack, Arnie...I even like the Yankees.

No comments: