Monday, August 28, 2006

Aug 21st Braves/Pirates Recap

Traffic on the downtown connector yesterday was heavy, but lighter than usual. I left work right at 5 pm and hustled home to pick up the boys, telling them to eat before I got there. Will had his red Francoeur jersey, but Matthew just had on a T-shirt…last time his Chipper jersey was way too hot. Hurried, I didn’t think about wearing a jersey, but donned my 1974 royal blue Braves cap. I also forgot pen and paper to take notes.

We parked and made it to the stadium before 6:30. Just as I found the entrance to the que at the ticket booth, a guy approached and said “Need three tickets? See you there” He handed me the tickets and walked off…Section 107 Row 23…behind the Braves on deck circle.

As we walked around to our seats, I saw # 24 warming up behind first base. I told Matthew it was Betemit, but I’d heard on the radio pregame that Martin Prado had been recalled. He made a nice backhanded catch on the leadoff hitter’s grounder, and hit a couple of scorching line drives.

With Pittsburgh’s hot Freddy Sanchez leading the NL in hitting, I was hoping Smoltz would shut him down. His tough grounder in the first was handled by Renteria, but when LaRoche couldn’t handle the low throw, it was called an error. No perfect game, I thought. I think Smoltz walked the next hitter, but got out of the inning. Unfortunately both McCann and Chipper had off-nights at the plate.

Since we missed batting practice and were planning on sitting in the upper deck, Will didn’t bring his glove. He could’ve used it when Andruw batted in the bottom of the first, as he popped one high, right to Will. Both our new friend and I held back to let Will make the catch, but the teenager in front of Will reached back and knocked the ball away. The guy behind us had also reached out with his Bama cap. Later Terry McGuirk chased down a foul ball, and handed it to the fan that had battled him for it.

On the cover of the Braves Game Day handout was Scott Thorman…recently optioned back to Richmond. I haven’t heard much about the fact that LaRoche is the only first baseman on the roster. I suppose Pratt, Orr, Langerhans, or Diaz could fill in if needed. With a lefty pitching for the Pirates, LaRoche betted eighth. Stepping in the box, there were a few calls from the stands for him to bunt. He promptly lined a single to right.

Francoeur again went with the pitch and lined one over Jeremy Burnitz’ head in right. I think many more capable outfielders could’ve made the catch. With the lefty pitching, again JF batted ahead of McCann, but perhaps JF’s recent improvement is another reason he’s moved up in the order. His next time up he hit it on a line off the LF fence, quite a shot…so hard the ball bounded back to the leftfielder, who easily threw out JF at second. I swear when JF is announced as the batter, he glances at the big screen. Like last year, I noticed it again last night.

Seems like every time I attend a game a Brave gets thrown out. Prado was also out at home on a play that was right in front of us. Edgar lined it into the LF corner, and I watched third base coach Fredi Gonzalez move down the line to make his call at the last possible moment. Only a perfect relay would nail the runner, and that’s what happened. Prado tried to go around the catcher Paulino but was called out.

More on Paulino. On an outside pitch Paulino tossed his bat away and took a step to first, as the umpire called it a strike. Paulino turned around and picked up his bat. The umpire then had to tell him there were only two balls so far in the count. The next pitch was a called strike three, and later he was called out on strikes a third time. That time he just turned around and walked back to the dugout with his head down. Paulino was wearing those ugly Scott Thorman Reeboks.

I’m no fan of Burnitz. He’s supposed to be this big power hitter, but he only has about 16 home runs and what, a .230 or .240 average. Below average on defense. Langerhans or Brian Jordan could do better at the plate. Guess that’s why Burnitz plays for the lowly Pirates. He did make a nice running catch in the eighth, but anyone could’ve made the same play.

As reported, Smoltz had great stuff, piling up the strikeouts. I’m always aware of a no-hitter, and Andruw made a nice play in center, turning his back and running to the fence to make the catch. With the lead, I had hoped Cox would insert Langerhans earlier than usual. But Diaz made two catches after long runs, and then made the great diving catch to end the fifth. Many of the Braves waited to congratulate Diaz for extending the no-hitter, and the crowd gave him an appreciative ovation as he led off the bottom of the inning. I had a bad angle and no replay, but thought Prado should’ve dove for that first hit into right field. Smoltz then got a nice ovation, and Chipper came over and patted Smoltz on the chest.

I notice “Matty” Diaz has a 96 Rock radio commercial, even taking a poke at John Thompson. Diaz was on the postgame with Stu and Edgar. When Stu mentioned the “lucky” ten for ten streak, Diaz agreed it was lucky, and then humbly added that in addition to luck, that God had blessed him. While FSU product Diaz has always worn Adidas spikes, after one of his catches I noticed his blue undershirt had a Nike swoosh. Will the Braves get him back next year?

Wickman came in to a new video introduction…”THIS IS NOT A TEST!” I had to laugh, because the huge close-up images of Wickman’s face were more tender than menacing.

After the game Will hustled down to the dugout to holler at the players. McCann came out for an interview. Will asked him for his catcher’s helmet, and McCann said ‘next time!’ The 7 pm game went quickly, and though we hung around after the game, parked a little further than usual, and stopped at Taco Bell and Kroger, we still made it home before 10:30.

For the second straight game I ran into an old friend. This time it was Billy Brundage, a former roommate and Macon-ite who now lives in Fayetteville. His brother used to live in the house across the street from me. Billy also had his two sons at the game, and his oldest is also named Will. They didn’t seem to be an enamored with baseball as Billy was, though they were happy to be at the game…their first of the year. Later I saw his boys excited to get cotton candy. In my head I imagine Billy is still sore that I didn’t ask him to be in my wedding, and I wouldn’t blame him (but he’s probably long forgotten about it).

We got the Chipper and Andruw player statues...they look ok from a distance, but up close they're kinda sloppy. so we couldn't go. We have extra Chippers and Andruws, I had thought about trying to trade for Smoltz, Hudson, and Francoeur. They're not asnice as the bobbleheads they used to give away.

At the game I signed in a designated driver, and asked the lady if she'd seen John Parkes. "Not tonight" she replied. He's famous!

No comments: