Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Salty For Teixeira: Just Say No

I could be wrong, but I think all those Teixeira rumors are way off base…even if Andruw leaves and Liberty expands payroll. JS knew when he traded LaRoche that Andruw would be leaving, but he also knew what he had in the minor leagues. Teixeira has Scott Boras for an agent (as does Andruw)…JS has always been patient enough to turn better, less expensive, less obvious deals than most obvious high-priced rumors. Reports from Texas say Teixeira is backing off his trade demands. He is a free agent after 2008…so JS wouldn’t trade what Texas would want for offense for one year, when the pitching is in such dire straits. Boras won’t want to sign without testing the market.

I guess Wickman won’t be back next year…his was a one year contract, right? Hopefully JS will keep his sanity and not overpay for a mediocre starter…his track record has been pretty good so far on that. Seems like you can get just as much production from a Buddy Carlyle or Jaret Wright than signing a mediocre 4th or 5th starter for 15 million. For every flop…we had a few last year, at least you’re saving millions. Seems like for what you get, it’s not worth it to overpay for pitching. This may change a little if payroll is increased.

Andruw’s lack of plate discipline is all the more reason to let him walk (he did line out to RF last night…the at bat after he looked at six straight pitches to strike out with runners in scoring position). Better to have Tori Hunter or Mike Cameron than Andruw or Teixeira. Seems like this would be potent enough lineup next year…allowing money to buy more pitching.

Escobar 2B
Renteria SS
Chipper 3B
McCann C
Francoeur CF/RF
Salty 1B
K. Johnson RF/LF
Diaz/Harris LF/CF

Last night I watched episode 3 of The Bronx is Burning…I missed episode 2. They do a good job of recreating actual events…last night was when Martin pulled Reggie from the middle of the game. At the end of the show they air comments from players, and I haven’t believed any of Reggie’s retorts yet.

At 11 pm I switched to the Braves and watched until Hudson was pulled for Wickman…glad I went to bed at that point. Leno was supposed to have on Lindsey Lohan, fresh from her DUI the night before. Since she didn’t make it, Leno had Rob Schneider come out dressed as Lohan. Schneider’s first comment was ‘I sure am tired…I was out late last night.’ Letterman had on Colts coach Tony Dungy. I’d been sick Monday and yesterday…feeling so bad on the drive in yesterday I considered turning around, so last night I took it easy…though I stayed up too late.

Fell asleep during the game Monday night a couple of times, though I knew we had the lead. Saw Smoltz walk Bonds to load the bases, then bounce the wild pitch to the inside, though McCann was set up outside. Interesting rumor regarding Renteria to the ChiSox, though I didn’t think it as outrageous as Rowland’s Office did. I’d hate to see Edgar go, though I know he’s not a long term solution…particularly the way he’s been playing. Even if he is traded, it’ll be interesting to see where he signs his next free agent contract with…the NL, I’d guess.

No comments: