Thursday, November 13, 2008

MPV MPG

I’ve noticed recently that I get significantly better gas mileage when I drive a car than Ceil does. I’m sure she idles more, and I try to coast more and take routes with more right turns than left turns, avoiding lights and high traffic areas. My commute varies pretty much every day, based on traffic, time of day, whether a light is red or green, etc.

Dorky Dad had a good MPG post a couple of months ago with a good link, but these last few years I’ve really tried to drive with MPG in mind.

In the Civic I can sometimes get 36 MPG around town, and sometimes Ceil gets as low as 28 MPG (usually 30). I mostly drive the MPV on trips, and on the retreat I got over 27 mpg. Getting 25 mpg on the highway hasn’t been hard, but around town sometimes Ceil doesn’t get 20 mpg. MPG was one of the deciding factors on getting another MPV. Odysseys get good mileage but are expensive, and Pilots get around 19 or so. Pacificas were only rated at 15 mpg, which was a factor against them.

No comments: