Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Family Weekend

In Athens Will and Anna studied together at the coffee shop.

Last Thursday we had an issue so after I left early I had to arrange an extra complicated hot shipment. Those parts were also rejected, so Friday afternoon I had to arrange an even more complicated Saturday pickup / delivery / plating / pickup / delivery. Worked out well with no Saturday calls. Left after 6 pm and stopped by Kroger on the way home. I can't remember what happened Friday night. I think I snacked while Ceil went grocery shopping with Matthew. M likes to go to make sure his favorite snack items get bought.

Friday Will toured the medical school in Augusta. Every year 500 apply for the 45 available spots in the PA school. On the way back to Athens he stopped in Thomson to play nine holes of golf – a cheap greens fee at a nice country club just off I-20. Will has also applied at the medical school in Charleston, but that program doesn't start until January 2017. His high school classmate Kara graduated from UAB this spring and is now at Emory to become a physical therapist.

Anna had a dance to attend Friday night. She said she and her partner were the best dancers. After the party she rode home with Will. They got home at 2:30 am. Anna was sick, and spent the weekend sleeping and shopping.

Cleaned a little upstairs Saturday morning before going downstairs to watch College Game Day. Ceil fixed breakfast: grits, eggs, and bacon. She made me a breakfast sandwich on the Panini press. At 11:30 I cleaned out Ceil's car and took it to the carwash for and oil change.

Back home we watched the Clemson Appalachian State game. Heisman candidate Deshaun Watson didn't do much but safe passes, but Dabo probably didn't want to show many wrinkles of the offense. Same with Tech, who looked good. Like Alcorn State, Tulane pretty much beat themselves. At 3:30 we started flipping back and forth between GT and UGA. Later we added the Notre Dame/Virginia game to the mix. I'm worried about GT's tacking, but the Jackets chances of upsetting the Irish went up with the injuries to the QB and RB.

After GT and UGA Will wanted to watch Oklahoma / Tennessee. Typical Vols to lose the game at the end. They looked decent though, and UGA will have a tough time beating them in Neyland.

Ceil cooked Anna's favorite baked chicken enchilada dish for supper. Afterwards C took A and M back out on a second shopping trip. I cleaned the kitchen and working on the computer while the TV had college football.

Will went with us to JFBC Sunday. The Sunday School lesson was on marriage, and the speaker had recently led a marriage seminar that W & MC had attended. So Will got picked on the whole time. Didn't help that we were sitting in the front. 
Back home Anna was sick. Lunch was BBQ Ceil had cooked in the crock pot. Also slaw, fries, and baked beans. Drove Anna to Milton to roommate Emily's house for her ride back, then straight downtown to drop Matthew off at Grace Church on State Street near Tech. Went back to pick him up, and it was almost 11 pm before we got home. I had watched a little of the NBC pregame, but I was pretty much footballed out. I knew Giants/Cowboys would be good but I was gone from 8:50 – almost 11 pm retrieving Matthew. Got home and went straight to bed.

There's only one person in my entire office building who keeps a golf club at his desk: me. Only one person has worked on our account longer than me, and he is retiring this fall. But once again I'm getting passed over for the vendor appreciation day golf tournament. Then when a female golfer is needed I get copied on the email. Everyone loves my work, but I'm shown scant appreciation.

Rough day at work Monday with a co-worker out and an emergency looming. She was supposed to be out again today (but she's back) so I worked extra late to finish up lots of stuff I hadn't been able to get to during the day. Jonathan and I wound up working until 8 pm. Ceil had gone to pray so I stopped by Wendy's on the way home. Watched the Falcons until 9 pm then switched over to The Middle. Switched back for the end of the game.

Good that the Falcons were able to hang on. It took a while for the Philly offense to get its legs. If Bradford stays healthy the Eagles will be a team to be reckoned with. With the two minute warning the Eagles were able to save clock. I switched back just in time to see the last punt. Bosher's previous punt had gone over 60 yards and died inside the ten. I thought he might kick it out of bounds or at least near the sideline, but it seemed like he was trying to boot a 70 yarder into the end zone. I was just glad they tackled the return man. Then they got lucky with the interception.

If the Birds can just win the games they're supposed to and steal a few others they can compete for the division championship. Still, I only know the names of four or five players. I only watch NFL games to see the Peyton Manning commercials. I'd just as soon watch The Middle.

Like all Tuesdays and Thursdays, today is a day of meetings. Extra 8:30 meeting and also a 2 pm meeting to help with a problem in Odessa Texas.

No comments: