Friday, September 25, 2015

Yogi, Romo, and Jaokim

I enjoyed watching all the Yogi tributes, and sought them out to watch. When someone like him dies I’d like to think youngsters not previously aware of Berra would finally learn what a great player he was, and all he achieved. One time Yogi bought a harmonica and was practicing in the back of the team bus after a loss. The Yankees were in a losing streak. The manager wasn’t happy. He got on the bus and hollered “whoever’s playing the harmonica better shut up!” Yogi didn’t hear and asked what was said. Mickey called “Play louder!”
 
My favorite quote: When asked about a switch-hitter Yogi replied “He hits from both sides. He’s amphibious.” Don’t know if I told you that I bought an autographed Berra book “Five Rings.”
 
Around 5:20 Monday afternoon my hard-working coworker Jonathan packed up and left. The FSU GM was packing up to leave as well. I looked around and I was the last one on the second floor. I had to leave at 5:35 to make it to the post office before six. Barely made it. Then I headed south on Spaulding to Holcomb Bridge. I called to check in with Ceil, and she asked if Matthew had texted what time he needed to be picked up in Cumming. He hadn’t.
 
I was in a place where all northbound traffic was backed up. I didn’t have to be in a hurry, so I took Barnwell to Jones Bridge to McGinnis Ferry to McFarland. Ga 400 was still backed up so I took Highway 9 to a shortcut I knew. Stopped by Taco Bell for M and didn’t make it home until 8 pm. Ceil had cooked black beans and rice. She wanted to watch The Voice so I messed around on my laptop.
 
Tuesday I worked until six and drove straight home. Was able to get caught up on some work. C had to take Barney to the vet because his eye is still puffy after his surgery last week. Hopefully he won’t lose the eye. He’s always bumping into things with his cone. He seems to be feeling a little better. Ceil grilled chicken to add to rice and tomatoes. Also the black beans from Monday night. Ceil ran to the mall. I worked on the computer and watched the Braves and The Middle.
 
Came in Wednesday and it was crazy all morning. Calmed down and a vendor took me to Ruby Tuesday for the salad bar.
 
A lot of chicken and pasta lately. Last week it was spaghetti noodles in olive oil and tomatoes. Thursday was ravioli and chicken in a cheese sauce. Ceil baked some ribs on Wednesday since M likes them so much. I only tasted one, since I’m not crazy about them. But it looks like I’ll be eating the leftovers this weekend. Ceil had a rough week. Took M to the doctor. She watched Project Runway. After several weeks you get to know the characters. I worked on the computer and later watched one of the first Seinfeld episodes.
 
Thursday night I was up with an upset stomach, and I’m not 100% today. But I’m here. Good thing. Two team members are off today. A third just called in sick. That leaves yours truly. The absentees are missing some great breakfast items. I hate it when I have to help eat their share.
 
M goes to Blue Ridge tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll be able to watch Tech and Georgia tomorrow. Both play at noon. Clemson is off this week. Next week they host Notre Dame. Ceil’s 84 year old mother has been walking and exercising so she’ll be ready to attend.  
 
The wild card one game play in: Everything riding on one game instead of a series. Disliked by most baseball traditionalists, including me. But traditionally baseball didn’t have all these rounds of playoffs.
 
With his beard and long hair pulled back in a bun, Matthew is starting to look like Joakim Noah. I was surprised that M knew who he was, but he did hang out with the Hawks fans at PCC.
 
Just found out I get to go to the GT@Clemson game on Oct 10. Might go tailgate for the Notre Dame game hoping a ticket comes available. But I’d rather be home for GA/AL. That black GT football chaplain is speaking at SPdL this Sunday. There are videos of him making pregame speeches. Gets them all fired up. Football is such a game of emotion, especially on defense. Helps you give everything you’ve got. You can always tell which teams come to play and which ones don’t. Unlike baseball or golf where if you swing too hard you can’t perform as well.
 
Sunday the Eagles RB went out of bounds on the Dallas sideline and stopped in front of the punter – who pushed the opposing RB. The ref flagged the punter for unnecessary roughness. Funny. Turned out they were rivals in college: Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

The Sporting News thinks the Cowboys should trade for RGIII. I don’t. The current backup looks good. Will be interesting to see if the Falcons can catch Dallas without their QB and WR and go to 3-0. On the play when Romo was injured the Eagles' Fletcher Cox recovered the fumble. His brand new facemask (above) looks like the one Chuck Bednarik used to wear.
Trick play (below): I’ve seen that play before in pee wee league games. In pee wee its shame on the coaches. If I was a pee wee coach and someone pulled off that play on me, I would call the same play on the team that tried it on mine – to get the coaches back. In high school its shame on the opposing players. There was no whistle stopping the clock or calling the play dead. Similar to the Richard Appleby play Vince Dooley pulled off back in the 70’s.

Sometimes they have boat shoes up at the outlets. Sperry’s are so popular that you’d think they’d have them “out of season.” Sometimes sporting goods stores like Dick’s or Academy will have them. Columbia makes some cool looking waterproof shoes, but they don’t have as much support as the Sperry’s. The Crocs store at Lenox also has a bunch of styles, in addition to the traditional Crocs. I sold a pair of trail running shoes for over twelve times what I paid for them.
 
Finished The Prince of Tides. I liked it a lot. Started a Steve Berry book: The Lincoln Myth. Berry lives in Camden SC and does a great job weaving special ops, high government, and ancient religion. The Lincoln Myth involves past and present day Mormons – including a potential Presidential candidate.
 
EBay: just mailed off some English placemats, a Matt Ryan jersey, and some Merrell camp shoes. Then I sold a Polo pullover, Converse basketball shoes, and my third and last Matt Ryan jersey.
 
Last weekend both Jonathan and FSU took their families to Bocca di Bacco, a family style Italian restaurant across from PF Chang on Mansell.

No comments: