Sunday, September 06, 2015

One Last Coolray Trip

Made one last 2015 trip out to CoolRay Field Saturday. Had to drive Matthew way out to Suwanee anyway, allowing me to arrive extra early to swap bobbleheads with Kevin. Then we had plenty of time to check out the clearance sale in the team store.


Wasn't hard to find RL at the front of the short line. We had plenty of time to chat with Johnny and Mack and others around us. When the gates finally opened the GBraves tweeted this picture. RL is the fan on the extreme left, and I'm next to him in navy.
We had nice seats behind the plate. To our right was the grandfather we'd sat behind on August 8, with his two precocious grandsons, along with their other grandfather. Once again the boys provided entertainment and fun - along with the constantly chattering young couple behind us on a date. Made me want to do something weird just to give them something to talk about, like take a bite from their helmet ice cream. But I didn't.
To our right was a fun older couple. The husband told an old joke I'd never heard: why does it take longer to run from second to third than it does to run from first to second? Because there's a short stop in the middle. I accidentally snapped a grainy photo of the guy's odd-looking trail shoes, made by the same manufacturer as mine. His wife is the lady in yellow on the left in the top photo.
As my custom in Gwinnett, I was able to keep score. With five outfielders and only four spots in the lineup, Todd Cunningham sat out and coached first base. Joey Terdoslavich DH'd. Before the game Decatur's Cedric Hunter was named team MVP.
With everything 50% off in the team store, I added a $5.00 St. Patrick's Day cap to my collection. Not too bad for being adjustable.
 
With Gwinnett trailing 4-2 both RL and I made our exit as the top of the 9th inning began. I turned left and drove 17 miles to pick up M in Cumming. Timed it perfectly, and we made it home in time to see the end of the Alabama Wisconsin game. 

No comments: