Wednesday, November 25, 2015

UGA/Georgia Southern

UGA/Georgia Southern: Both Georgia Southern TDs came off turnovers. Lambert wasn't great targeting his receivers but wasn't the one fumbling neither was Richt. On the punt fair catch the official behind the return man blew his whistle when he thought the ball was caught. The announcers missed that. Good thing there was a replay. After UGA tied it Lambert celebrated like he'd just won the national championship, as opposed to tying the game against a heavy underdog. The Georgia Southern coach didn’t kick a field goal on fourth down in overtime. When they didn’t make a first down it was like the defense had given up. I knew GA would kick a field goal on 4th down after running it three times to get as close as possible. I’m not 100% confident in Marshall Morgan as a kicker. I guess GA wanted to break Southern’s heart a different way this time – by waiting until the end.
Before the game injured Southern player Devon Gates was at the game on the field in a wheelchair, and Richt came over and gave him a hug. Will was in the group of people on the field standing nearby, taking pictures.

I've said all year Deshaun Watson wasn't the greatest downfield passer on the planet. Two more interceptions against a terrible Wake forest team.

Tech's worst fear happened: Justin Thomas got hurt. It may have been a matter of time. You'd think the ground game would've worked in the rain but no. Highly doubtful GT can beat GA without Thomas. GT just doesn’t have the players. Now the top 2 QB’s are hurt – not sure Justin’s status for the UGA game. Paul Johnson says they’re not executing. Seems like when a player is stopped the refs should blow the whistle. Skov was stopped but Miami wrestled the ball away and ran for a TD. Skov really hasn't done much this year. No wonder he didn't play much at Stanford.

Ezekiel Elliott acted like he was the coach. A little too big for his britches. At least he apologized. And to thing some of the media wondered whether he should have. Of course he needed to.

Friday Ceil didn’t want to wait so she and M went on to IKEA. I ate at Cheeseburger Bobby’s again.

Saturday I loaded up the CRV full of stuff to take to Goodwill. M went along and bought a shirt. Stopped by a friend’s house to get some books – I probably took too many. Then gas and the library and Joseph A Bank to fit me and M for the wedding. Then Walmart and Taco Bell. Didn’t get back until the Clemson game had started. Watched it and then UGA and then OK/TCU – great ending.

Sunday was JFBC. Anna arrived home from Clemson. Ceil fixed lunch. Will arrived from Athens and Joel came over to watch the Falcons, fix coffee, and play music. I noticed the Bears game was extra cold. Dinner was with the small group: ham, roast beef, mac&cheese, sweet potato casserole, pigs&blanket, broccoli casserole, salad, cakes, and other desserts. Later I gassed up Anna’s Jeep and drove M to Norcross. On the way back we were going to drop off the CRV in the shop but something broke in the jeep. I was able to limp the 5 miles back to the shop without getting stranded. Turned out to be a broken spark plug. The CRV might need a new muffler.

Drove up to Chattanooga Monday morning and arrived at the office right at 8 am. Walked in and it seemed like all eyes were on me. I cracked them up when the first thing I said was that I was this week’s helper idiot. I followed up by saying that I was actually their Thanksgiving turkey. My fiend Danny from Birmingham is here as well as Leigh Ann, Roy, Taylor, and Dennis. Have been busy so far.

It was 32 degrees in Atlanta Tuesday morning. Will was out playing golf with David Norman and DJ Hoffer, the former high school basketball marvel. Will’s friend Connor Smith plays for Oglethorpe. This year he’s a junior and one of the veterans on the team. I went to a few games last year and hope to get down there for more.

With all the travel and hanging around I wouldn't make a good beat writer.

I was in Chattanooga until Wednesday. Accepted the trip and then learned all three kids would be home all week with no school. Looks like I'll be too busy to write any great blog content until Friday, so I'm just posted a few listed I had already typed up. Then last night I forgot my power cord so I couldn't write from the hotel. Trying to post something every day.

Busy in Hixson but I wanted to run down our meals:
Monday breakfast: Hardees biscuit.
Monday lunch: Zaxby’s salad
Monday supper: Chicago Pizza restaurant: 8” Hawaiian pizza, side salad. Appetizer was these pizza rolls (I had one).
Tuesday and Wednesday breakfast at hotel.
Tuesday lunch: Ruby Tuesday salad bar.

Tuesday supper: Boathouse Restaurant on river east of downtown. Very nice. We ate on the deck overlooking the river and downtown. Appetizers: onion rings (several), shrimp quesadillas (2), raw oysters (none). I had a chopped sirloin steak sandwich (excellent). It came with onion rings and French fries (great, but I did not finish). Danny ordered dessert which the four of us shared: ice cream brownie with amaretto.

One of Will’s former teammates was the number one starting pitcher for a small school up in the northeast. As a freshman the left-hander started 7 games and appeared in 3 more: 3 wins 4 losses 44.2 innings pitched 31 strikeouts 33 walks 43 hits 36 runs 13 HBP 4.63 ERA against teams like Gordon, Mitchell, Wesleyan, and Clark. For the season the team went 16-16.

No comments: